What is the best computer program to start learning for basic programming?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different programming languages that are available, including C++, Python, and JavaScript. The participants also mention the importance of just starting and learning as you go along, as well as the benefits of learning multiple languages. They also mention specific languages like Scheme/Racket and Haskell as fun to learn. Finally, they highlight JavaScript as a highly accessible language, particularly for beginners, due to its platform-independence and ability to create games.
dazzzer
I want to learn a computer program I know of a few c# .C++, python but I am not sure which one to start learning with , My goal is to write a basic computer program like a bot or computer software and also maybe a basic game would be fun ,

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
The language you choose doesn't matter so much. All of the major languages have great documentation and function libraries. Personally, I do my "playing" in (plain old) C. I'm yet to dive deep into Python but it seems easy to pick up - I know some people would mention Python as a great one to start with.

I think the best way to start, is just start. Your first few programs will be mere learning experiences, and you will pick up more things as you go along. The goal is to understand the concept of programming as much as the ins and outs of the particular language you use. You will also more than likely learn more than one language, and each will compliment the other.

why not give a try to some lisp like languages. Scheme/Racket was really fun to learn. I've heard Haskell is also good one.

JavaScript is the most accessible. All you need is a browser and a text editor. It is completely platform-independent and distributing your program is a doddle because you only have to put it on a web page. Then even smart phones can run it.
It used to be said that JavaScript was not general-purpose enough. But now that it can do graphics via the HTML5 canvas element and nearly all browsers now support it, that is no longer an obstacle. You can write many kinds of games in it.

Related to What is the best computer program to start learning for basic programming?

What is the best way to learn a computer program?

The best way to learn a computer program is by practicing consistently. Start with basic concepts and gradually move on to more advanced topics. Also, try to work on real-world projects to apply what you have learned.

What are the essential skills needed to learn a computer program?

The essential skills needed to learn a computer program include problem-solving abilities, logical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to learn new concepts quickly. Additionally, a basic understanding of mathematics and familiarity with the programming language you are learning can also be helpful.

How much time does it take to learn a computer program?

The time it takes to learn a computer program varies depending on the complexity of the program and your learning style. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to learn a programming language. However, continuous practice and dedication can significantly speed up the learning process.

Do I need any prior knowledge to learn a computer program?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge to learn a computer program. However, having a basic understanding of computer systems and mathematical concepts can make it easier to grasp programming concepts.

What are the best resources to learn a computer program?

There are various resources available to learn a computer program, such as online tutorials, books, and coding bootcamps. The best resource for you will depend on your learning style and the programming language you want to learn. It's always helpful to seek recommendations from experienced programmers or join online communities to get guidance and support while learning.