What Is the Best Introductory Text for Turbomachinery?

In summary, A person in the aerospace industry is looking for a good introductory text on jet engines as they have studied related subjects at a graduate level. They are currently reading a book but finding it lacking in some areas. They also mention that their job as a design engineer for a company that specializes in turbo-machinery requires a lot of proprietary knowledge that is not available to the public. They clarify that while knowledge in aero and fluids is important, most of the work is in mechanical design.
Saladsamurai
Can anyone recommend a good introductory text? I have studied Fluids, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, and Math methods at graduate level. I am in the Aerospace industry if that affects responses.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
So far I have been reading from this book. I am not loving it, but I don't hate it yet either. It assumes to much prior knowledge about turbines and compressors, like the part names and functions. Maybe I need a different type of book? I basically need a text on jet engines. Turbomachinery seemed like the right place to start though.

Any thoughts on this one? Still looking.

I'm a design engineer for a company that designs turbo-machinery. I've never seen a book that I would recommend. Anyone who hires you would plan on spending more than a year training you. What I need to do my job is propritory and not published to the public domain. Each company has spent decades and billions of dollars developing their own knowledge base, each a little different from the other. Then they hold it close to the chest.

Aero and fluids is a tiny part of the job, probably 3 out of 1000 jobs. But they are always looking for heat transfer folks for secondary flow. Most the work is mechanical design.

Related to What Is the Best Introductory Text for Turbomachinery?

What is turbomachinery?

Turbomachinery is a branch of mechanical engineering that deals with the study and design of machines that transfer energy between a rotor and a fluid, such as a gas or liquid.

What are some examples of turbomachinery?

Some examples of turbomachinery include turbines, compressors, pumps, and fans. These machines are commonly used in power generation, aviation, and industrial processes.

What is the importance of studying turbomachinery?

Studying turbomachinery is important because it helps us understand and improve the performance of these machines, which are crucial in many industries. It also allows us to develop new and more efficient designs for future applications.

What are the main components of a turbomachinery system?

The main components of a turbomachinery system include the rotor, stator, and the fluid that flows through the machine. The rotor consists of blades or vanes that rotate, while the stator is responsible for guiding the fluid flow and increasing efficiency.

What are some common challenges in designing turbomachinery?

Designing turbomachinery can be challenging due to factors such as fluid dynamics, structural integrity, and efficiency. It requires a deep understanding of aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and mechanical engineering principles.