What is the best method for determining fiber load in a composite material?

In summary, the conversation discussed the methods for determining the load in a fiber in a composite material made of aligned fibers at alternating angles. The approach of rotating the strain in a convenient direction to obtain the strain in the fiber direction was mentioned, but the accuracy of this procedure was questioned. The conversation also mentioned the book "Experimental Characterization of Advanced Composite Materials" and the use of Classical Laminate Theory in composite analysis. The speaker also shared their experience using NX Nastran for structural analysis in aerospace.
muzialis
Hello there,

I am wondering if some specilalist would point in me in the direction of procedures to determine the load in a fiber in a composite material made of aligned fibers (let's say at alternating angles $$+/- \alpha$$).
I understand you could simply compute the strain in a convenient direction for a "homogenized" composite material, rotate in the fiber direction to obtain the strain in the fiber direction, but I am not so sure about the accuracy of this procedure.
I am looking for analytical solutions, and I am interested in Industry standards too. I am surprised how difficult it is tio find something.

Many thanks and have a good day

Engineering news on Phys.org
Experimental Characterization of Advanced Composite Materials, Third Edition by Leif Carlsson, Donald F. Adams and R. Byron Pipes (Oct 29, 2002)

The approach you mentioned is part of Classical Laminate Theory (or Classical Laminate Analysis). It's usually covered in a basic intro to composites course, so I think it's the standard starting point for composite analysis.

I work in aerospace doing composite stress analysis and we use NX Nastran for our structural analysis. I'm pretty sure that when you define plies for plate elements, it uses this technique or a variation on it.

Related to What is the best method for determining fiber load in a composite material?

What is meant by "fiber load" in a composite?

Fiber load refers to the amount of reinforcing fibers that are present in a composite material. These fibers are typically made of materials such as carbon, glass, or aramid, and they provide strength and stiffness to the composite.

How does the fiber load affect the properties of a composite?

The higher the fiber load, the stronger and stiffer the composite will be. This is because the fibers provide the majority of the mechanical properties of the material. However, too high of a fiber load can also lead to brittleness and decreased impact resistance.

What is the ideal fiber load for a composite?

The ideal fiber load for a composite depends on the specific application and the desired properties. Generally, a fiber load of 50-60% is considered optimal for most applications.

What factors can affect the fiber load in a composite?

The type of fibers used, the manufacturing process, and the matrix material (such as resin) can all affect the fiber load in a composite. Other factors include the orientation and distribution of the fibers, as well as any post-processing treatments.

How can the fiber load be determined in a composite?

The fiber load can be determined through various testing methods, such as microscopy, thermal analysis, or mechanical testing. These methods can provide information on the amount, type, and distribution of fibers in the composite material.