What is the best notebook for scientists to document their research?

• Thread starter w.shockley
  • Start date
In summary: Again, I have OCD.I recommend the Rhodia graph notebooks or their notebooks in general. They have very great paper quality!The Japanese make some nice notebooks with fine paper that is a joy to write in.
w.shockley
What's the most common type of notebook that scientists use?
I am not talking about the laboratory notebook (which is also a little bit outdated as now all the data are digital and it is quite time consuming to print out the results and put it in the notebook..), but the notebook where scientists write things they learn or some maths.
I am looking for an ideal and beautiful option (Moleskine are too expensive).
I was thinking about binders + refill..

Physics news on Phys.org
w.shockley said:
What's the most common type of notebook that scientists use?
I am not talking about the laboratory notebook (which is also a little bit outdated as now all the data are digital and it is quite time consuming to print out the results and put it in the notebook..), but the notebook where scientists write things they learn or some maths.
I am looking for an ideal and beautiful option (Moleskine are too expensive).
I was thinking about binders + refill..

The "laboratory notebook" is not confined to be used ONLY to record data. I use it for my own personal notebook as well. After all, it is available in the stockroom, and that's what almost everyone at work use, since it is for work.

BTW, laboratory notebook are used not to write data, but rather the parameters of the data, the performance of the machine, etc.. etc. and to correlate what data file corresponding to what parameters. So they are not "outdated". Hendrik Schon would have had a stronger case had he kept and produced a proper lab book.

Zz.

Yes of course you use notebooks to write the parameters of your experiments. Actually you should put the results of your experiments as well in your legally bonded notebook, otherwise you cannot claim you had any result... anyway tho was. this was not the point of the post. I don't think you should put the derivation of textbook formula, for example, in your lab book, as it is supposed to be read by other people (who don't care about your math).

I don't like the notebooks they have in the stockroom. They are ugly.

w.shockley said:
Yes of course you use notebooks to write the parameters of your experiments. Actually you should put the results of your experiments as well in your legally bonded notebook, otherwise you cannot claim you had any result... anyway tho was. this was not the point of the post. I don't think you should put the derivation of textbook formula, for example, in your lab book, as it is supposed to be read by other people (who don't care about your math).

No, but there's no reason not to use another lab notebook as your personal notebook. This was not uncommon at Argonne, because I've seen many people walking around with those to take down notes when they attend a colloquium.

Isn't that what you're asking?

Zz.

w.shockley said:
I don't like the notebooks they have in the stockroom. They are ugly.

I never realize that physical beauty and visual appeal are a factor.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I never realize that physical beauty and visual appeal are a factor.

Zz.
I have OCD.

Do you suggest A4 or A5, wirebound or not ?

w.shockley said:
Do you suggest A4 or A5, wirebound or not ?

Form follows function. Pick something that YOU are comfortable with, not something that *I* am comfortable with.

Besides, in the scheme of things, this is utterly trivial, and I'm surprised that you don't have other more important things to worry about.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Form follows function. Pick something that YOU are comfortable with, not something that *I* am comfortable with.

Besides, in the scheme of things, this is utterly trivial, and I'm surprised that you don't have other more important things to worry about.

Zz.
Again, I have OCD.

I recommend the Rhodia graph notebooks or their notebooks in general. They have very great paper quality!

The Japanese make some nice notebooks with fine paper that is a joy to write in.

FAQ: What is the best notebook for scientists to document their research?

1. What type of notebooks do scientists use?

Scientists typically use lab notebooks or scientific notebooks to record their research, experiments, and observations.

2. What is the purpose of using notebooks in science?

Notebooks serve as a record of a scientist's work and findings, allowing them to document their process, track progress, and refer back to previous experiments or observations.

3. Do scientists still use paper notebooks or do they use electronic versions?

Both paper and electronic notebooks are used by scientists, but paper notebooks are still more common due to their reliability and ease of use in lab settings.

4. Are there any guidelines or rules for keeping a scientific notebook?

Yes, there are guidelines that scientists should follow when keeping a notebook, such as using permanent ink, dating each entry, and maintaining clear and organized notes.

5. Can scientists share their notebook entries with others?

Scientists may choose to share their notebook entries with others, but there are often strict protocols in place to protect research and intellectual property.