What Is the Best Sensor for Measuring Arm Movement in Basketball?

• Thread starter maigo.liu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for measuring angle sensing/sensor for a senior design project. The KMA 199/200 Sensor is considered, but the person is unsure what it measures. Suggestions are made for using an optical encoder, a system with a gyroscope and accelerometer, or a simpler and cheaper method. The goal is to display the strength and angle of the player's hand when shooting a basketball. Factors such as accuracy, speed, and budget are also considered. It is mentioned that using accelerometers may not yield accurate results due to measuring other accelerations during the movement. The use of a gyro may be a better option, but it is expensive and may be difficult to fit onto the hand. The purpose of the project
maigo.liu
Hi Guys,

I have an question about angle sensing/sensor.

The KMA 199/200 Sensor:
http://www.digikey.com/sg/en/ph/NXP/kma.html?WT.z_Tab_Cat=Featured%2520Products

I read the data sheet, but I am still not 100% sure what this sensor is measuring.

I am doing a senior design project, and I need to measure the motion of the arm when shooting a basketball.

The other way I can think of is using a gyro sensor to measure the angular velocity and use the microcontroller to do an integral to find out the angle.

If you can think of any other way, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

PLEASE HELP ME.

Tanks A LOT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you thought about using an optical encoder? I believe they can yield quite accurate angle measurements and could be 'non-contact'.

Maybe also a system with a gyroscope and an accelerometer would work fine.

What angular accuracy do you need and how fast do you want the answer (i.e. could you analyse pictures, later)?
Also, how much money do you have to spend?

Our goal is : after the motion of shooting the basketball, the player can check on a LCD display which he or she wears on the arm for the strength he or she applied to the basketball and the angle of his hand (maybe put the gyro on the back of the palm).

accelerometers?

There's a much simpler, and cheap, method you could use. The problem with the accelerometer is that it will be measuring lots of other accerations during the movement, not just the angle of the hand. A gyro might be better, but is expensive and fitting it to the hand might be a challenge. Is this a commercial project you are working on?

Related to What Is the Best Sensor for Measuring Arm Movement in Basketball?

1. What is angle sensing/sensor problem?

Angle sensing or sensor problem refers to the difficulty in accurately determining the angle or direction of an object or movement using sensors. This can occur due to various factors such as sensor calibration, environmental conditions, or mechanical limitations.

2. How do angle sensors work?

Angle sensors work by using various methods such as resistive, inductive, capacitive, or optical sensing to measure the change in angle or direction of an object. These sensors convert the physical movement into an electrical signal that can be processed and interpreted.

3. What are the common applications of angle sensing/sensor?

Angle sensing/sensor is commonly used in robotics, aerospace and aviation, automotive, and industrial automation. It is also used in consumer electronics such as smartphones and gaming controllers to detect orientation and movement.

4. What are some challenges in angle sensing/sensor technology?

Some challenges in angle sensing/sensor technology include accuracy and precision, reliability, and sensitivity to external factors such as temperature, humidity, and electromagnetic interference. Calibration and maintenance are also important considerations to ensure the proper functioning of angle sensors.

5. How can angle sensing/sensor problems be resolved?

Angle sensing/sensor problems can be resolved by using high-quality sensors, proper calibration and maintenance procedures, and implementing error correction algorithms. It is also important to consider the environmental conditions and potential sources of interference when using angle sensors.

Back