What is the Best Spreadsheet Application for Scientists?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter nameman
  • Start date
In summary, MS Word and LaTeX are both software used for creating documents, but they differ in their approach to formatting. MS Word is WYSIWYG and has a user-friendly interface, while LaTeX uses markup language. To convert a MS Word document to LaTeX, a conversion tool or manual copying and pasting can be used. MS Excel is a spreadsheet software used for organizing and analyzing data, while Google Sheets is a free, web-based alternative with collaboration features. To create charts and graphs in MS Excel, the "Insert" tab can be used, and Excel offers customization options.
nameman
what goes in the blank?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with Excel? What do you need to do that Excel doesn't do? Using a programming language is probably the best fit.

Mostly just wondering what people think completes the analogy.

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to analyze data, then I'd say something like SPSS, SAS or R.

"OpenOffice.org Calc", which is Excel in Linux.

I like Serena said:
"OpenOffice.org Calc", which is Excel in Linux.

I prefer LibreOffice now. They're both cross platform.

For serious number crunching I use Python and MATLAB.

Gnumeric is also a good spreadsheet application.

Related to What is the Best Spreadsheet Application for Scientists?

What is the difference between MS Word and LaTeX?

MS Word is a word processing software that allows users to create and edit documents with a user-friendly interface. LaTeX, on the other hand, is a typesetting software that is used for creating documents with complex formatting, such as scientific papers or books. The main difference between the two is that MS Word is a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, while LaTeX uses markup language to define the structure and formatting of a document.

How do I convert a MS Word document to LaTeX?

To convert a MS Word document to LaTeX, you can use a conversion tool or manually copy and paste the content into a LaTeX editor. However, it is important to note that the conversion may not be perfect and some manual adjustments may be needed to ensure the formatting is correct.

What is MS Excel used for?

MS Excel is a spreadsheet software that is used for organizing, analyzing, and visualizing data. It allows users to create tables, charts, and formulas to perform calculations and manipulate data. It is commonly used in business, finance, and scientific fields.

How do I create charts and graphs in MS Excel?

To create charts and graphs in MS Excel, you can use the "Insert" tab and select the desired chart type from the "Charts" section. You can also right-click on your data and choose "Insert Chart" to create a chart based on your data. Excel offers various customization options to modify the appearance and layout of your charts and graphs.

What is the difference between MS Excel and Google Sheets?

MS Excel and Google Sheets are both spreadsheet software with similar features and capabilities. However, the main difference is that MS Excel is a desktop application that requires a purchase, while Google Sheets is a web-based application that is free to use with a Google account. Additionally, MS Excel offers more advanced features and customization options, while Google Sheets is more limited but offers collaboration and accessibility through the cloud.