What is the best way to approach asking questions on a forum for help?

• Thread starter Slash_ZA
  • Start date
In summary, when asking for help on a forum, it is important to be clear and concise with your question, providing all relevant details and context. It is also helpful to do some research beforehand to see if your question has already been answered. Additionally, showing appreciation and politeness towards those who are responding to your question can lead to more helpful and timely responses. It is important to avoid being demanding or rude, as this can discourage people from wanting to help. Overall, the best way to approach asking questions on a forum for help is to be respectful, thorough, and appreciative.
Slash_ZA
Hi. I am a student from South Africa. Currently studying Civil engineering. Came here for a lot of questions and this seems to be the place where great minds are.

P.S. NO, I don't have a pet Lion or Cheetah. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum!

Evo said:
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you.

Quick question where it is 1:52am on my side of the planet...

Where can I ask a question regarding "homework" related to civil engineering?
There are no examples in the study material. I am doing this course as part of distance-learning so there are also no one I could ask for advice. I have been through 3 books that I received and there is nothing like this in the books.

Question are as follows:
A steel bar, area 625mm2, is embedded in a block of concrete 100mm x 100mm. The length of both the steel bar and concrete block is 300mm. Assuming a value of 210kN/mm2 for Young's Modulus for the steel and 14kN/mm2 for the concrete, determine the load carried by the steel,and the load carried by the concrete, if the combined section is subject to a compressive load of 5kN. Assume that there is no slip between the steel and concrete(i.e. the strain in both materials is equal) and that the load is applied over the entire cross-section.

Slash_ZA said:
Thanx you sweetness.
You will find a polite attitude will encourage people to help you. :smile: I don't know anything about civil engineering unfortunately.

Likes Slash_ZA

FAQ: What is the best way to approach asking questions on a forum for help?

What is the meaning behind "Greetings from South Africa"?

"Greetings from South Africa" is a common phrase used to express friendly or formal salutations from someone in South Africa to someone else. It is often used as a way to show pride in one's country and to share a warm greeting with others.

What are some traditional greetings in South Africa?

Some traditional greetings in South Africa include "Sawubona" (meaning "hello" in Zulu), "Dumelang" (meaning "hello" in Sesotho), and "Mholo" (meaning "hello" in Xhosa). These greetings are often accompanied by a handshake or a hug.

What are some common customs and traditions in South Africa?

South Africa is a diverse country with many different customs and traditions. Some common ones include celebrating Heritage Day on September 24th, participating in traditional dances like the Gumboot dance, and enjoying a braai (barbecue) with friends and family.

What are some popular tourist destinations in South Africa?

South Africa is known for its beautiful landscapes, diverse wildlife, and vibrant cities. Some popular tourist destinations include Cape Town, Kruger National Park, the Garden Route, and the Drakensberg Mountains.

What are some traditional foods in South Africa?

South African cuisine is influenced by many different cultures, including indigenous African, Dutch, and Indian. Some traditional foods include biltong (dried meat), bobotie (a spiced meat dish), and pap (a porridge made from maize meal). Other popular dishes include braai meat, bunny chow (curry served in a hollowed-out bread loaf), and koeksisters (a sweet, syrupy treat).

Back