What is the best way to ask for help on the Physics Forums?

• Thread starter sojsail
  • Start date
In summary, when asking for help on the Physics Forums, it is important to be clear and concise in your question by providing a brief background and stating the specific issue or question. It is recommended to post your question in a specific sub-forum that aligns with the topic, but posting in the general Physics forum is also acceptable. The level of detail should be enough for others to understand the problem, but avoid excessive information. While you cannot request specific members to answer your question, you can tag them in your post. To receive a helpful response, be polite and open to different perspectives.
sojsail
Joining here hoping that environment is an improvement over answers.yahoo. I will be looking for questions that I can offer an answer to. Hoping to do well. umm. Should I create thread or upload? I will probably tangle things up until I learn the procedure
tjsail

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
sojsail said:
Joining here hoping that environment is an improvement over answers.yahoo. I will be looking for questions that I can offer an answer to. Hoping to do well. umm. Should I create thread or upload? I will probably tangle things up until I learn the procedure
tjsail
Welcome to the forum. I've never used answers.yahoo but I can guarantee you that for science questions, you will find this site to be an improvement over EVERYTHING :smile:

Create a thread when you have a question. I'm not sure what you mean by "upload". The only thing uploaded to here is images (and the occasional video).

Be a good idea to read the rules. They actually matter here.

I was looking at the New Member Introductions page. Upload is what one of the few things available to click on said.

sojsail said:
I was looking at the New Member Introductions page. Upload is what one of the few things available to click on said.
Hm. Can you do a screen shot of it? I can't seem to locate what you mean. Each response box has "post reply", "preview", and "upload" but it doesn't sound like that's what you mean. If it is, that's just the way to upload a pic or a vid.

My "Welcome to PF! Here is some important information" email had these 2 lines (among others).

Start out by introducing yourself in the "new member" area (Please No Questions or Homework):
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/new-member-introductions.240/create-thread

This is what brought me to the point that puzzled me. I wrote in the text box and was looking for what the next step should be. There were the 3 click-boxes create thread, upload, and preview... beneath the text box. Being a new member, I just need to feel my way in the dark.

I will be OK. I am here to find a better place to answer Physics questions. I am working on an answer about circuit analysis now.

Ah. Gotcha. Type a message in the box, preview it if you want, upload pic/vids if you want.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

If you have schoolwork type questions, please post in the Homework Help forums, and fill out the Homework Help Template that you are provided when starting a new thread in the schoolwork forums. Please be sure to fill out the sections on the Relevant Equations, and show your Attempt at a Solution. If you do that, you will get good tutorial help on your schoolwork questions here.

If you have a technical question about your work, or general technical questions, do a forum search to see if it has been discussed already, and if not, start a new thread in the appropriate technical forum. Please always post links to the reading you have been doing about your question -- that helps us to see where you are in your exploration of the subject.

There is more helpful info for how to post, etc., at the top of the page, under INFO, Help/How-To. Enjoy! :smile:

Related to What is the best way to ask for help on the Physics Forums?

1. How do I phrase my question effectively on the Physics Forums?

When asking for help on the Physics Forums, it is important to be clear and concise in your question. Start by providing a brief background or context for your problem, and then clearly state the specific issue or question you need help with. Avoid using technical jargon or assuming prior knowledge from the readers. Additionally, including any relevant equations or diagrams can greatly improve the clarity of your question.

2. Is it better to post my question in a specific sub-forum or in the general Physics forum?

It is generally recommended to post your question in a specific sub-forum that aligns with the topic of your question. This will ensure that your question is seen by members who have expertise in that particular area. However, if your question covers multiple topics or does not fit into a specific sub-forum, then posting in the general Physics forum is also acceptable.

3. How much detail should I include in my question?

The level of detail in your question should be enough for others to understand the problem and provide a helpful response. This may include relevant equations, diagrams, and any steps you have already taken to solve the problem. However, avoid including excessive information that is not directly related to your question, as it may make it more difficult for others to understand and provide a solution.

4. Can I request specific members to answer my question?

While it is not possible to request specific members to answer your question, you can tag specific members in your post if you believe they may be able to provide helpful insights. However, it is important to keep in mind that all members on the Physics Forums are volunteers and may not always be available to answer your question.

5. How can I ensure that I receive a helpful response to my question?

To increase the chances of receiving a helpful response, it is important to be polite and respectful in your interactions with other members. Make sure to thank anyone who takes the time to respond to your question, and consider providing updates or clarifications if requested. It is also helpful to have a positive attitude and be open to different perspectives and approaches to solving your problem.