What is the BMAD of the Calcaneus Bone?

• Thread starter freq87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation is about finding the density of calcaneus bone and references are provided for different populations and units of measurement. The units needed are g/cm^3 and there are papers available for reference. The gm/cm^3 figure is also mentioned as an alternative term for density.
freq87
Hi,

I am really stuck and could really use help.
Can someone please tell me the density of calcaneus bone. I can't seem to find it in any textbook or journal articles.

Please if you know let me know the journal or book you got it from.

thank you so much

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi freq87.

For a Korean population, there's a table here: http://synapse.koreamed.org/Synapse/Data/PDFData/0063JKMS/jkms-20-1011.pdf

hBMD seems to be around 0.4 - 0.6, for a particular Amazonian population, according to tables towards the end of this article: http://www.pinniped.net/madimenos2011a.pdf

The units? Mentioned in the first article.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need the density in g/cm^3 or kg/m^3? please thanks

Hi,

I am really stuck and could really use help.
Can someone please tell me the density of calcaneus bone. I can't seem to find it in any textbook or journal articles.

Please if you know let me know the journal or book you got it from.

The units for the density needs to be in g/cm^3. I can't seem to find it anywhere really worried.

thank you so much

I need it in g/cm^3 or kg/m^3 ?

These are all the results from dexa which calculates density in g/cm^2

I believe the gm/cm^3 figure is known as bone mineral apparent density (BMAD).

FAQ: What is the BMAD of the Calcaneus Bone?

1. What is the density of the calcaneus bone?

The density of the calcaneus bone can vary depending on factors such as age, sex, and overall health. However, on average, the density of the calcaneus bone is around 1.5 g/cm^3.

2. How is the density of the calcaneus bone measured?

The density of the calcaneus bone is typically measured using a method called dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). This involves passing low-dose X-rays through the bone and measuring the amount of radiation that is absorbed. The results are then compared to a reference database to determine the bone density.

3. How does the density of the calcaneus bone affect bone strength?

The density of the calcaneus bone is directly correlated with bone strength. A higher density indicates a stronger bone, while a lower density can increase the risk of fractures and other bone-related issues. It is important to maintain a healthy bone density to support overall bone health.

4. Can the density of the calcaneus bone change over time?

Yes, the density of the calcaneus bone can change over time. It typically peaks in early adulthood and gradually decreases with age. However, lifestyle factors such as diet and exercise can also affect the density of the calcaneus bone.

5. Are there any medical conditions that can affect the density of the calcaneus bone?

Yes, certain medical conditions such as osteoporosis, osteopenia, and endocrine disorders can affect the density of the calcaneus bone. These conditions can lead to a decrease in bone density and increase the risk of fractures.