What is the book Complex Numbers from A to...Z about?

In summary, complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i representing the imaginary unit. The main difference between real and complex numbers is that real numbers only have a real part, while complex numbers have both a real and imaginary part. Complex numbers are important in many fields of science and mathematics, and are used extensively in solving equations and modeling real-world phenomena. Yes, complex numbers can be added and subtracted, and the conjugate of a complex number is a number with the same real part but the opposite sign of the imaginary part. Conjugates are important in simplifying and dividing complex numbers

For those who have used this book

• Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This book looks really interesting. I don't know anything about it other than I recognize the name of one of the authors from contest-prep type books.

Related to What is the book Complex Numbers from A to...Z about?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i representing the imaginary unit (the square root of -1).

2. What is the difference between real and complex numbers?

The main difference between real and complex numbers is that real numbers only have a real part, while complex numbers have both a real and imaginary part. Real numbers are also represented on a one-dimensional number line, while complex numbers are represented on a two-dimensional complex plane.

3. Why are complex numbers important?

Complex numbers are important in many fields of science and mathematics, such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are also used extensively in solving equations and modeling real-world phenomena, such as electrical circuits and quantum mechanics.

4. Can complex numbers be added and subtracted?

Yes, complex numbers can be added and subtracted. When adding or subtracting complex numbers, we combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (4 + 5i) = (3 + 4) + (2i + 5i) = 7 + 7i.

5. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is a number that has the same real part but the opposite sign of the imaginary part. The conjugate of the complex number a + bi is a - bi. Conjugates are important in simplifying and dividing complex numbers.