What is the Branch Cut for log(z)?

In summary, the branch cut for the log(z) function is a point in the complex plane from which several branches of the function depart. The function f(z) = ln z has only one branch point in z=0 and the principle logarithm is defined with a branch cut on the negative real axis.
Amer
What is the Branch cut for the log(z) ?

Correct me if I am wrong.
I know that the function $f(z) = e^z$ , is periodic function with period $2 \pi $
so to define the function $\log(z) $ we have to restrict the domain of $e^z$
for example taking the points $D : z \in \mathbb{C} $ such that $-\pi < arg (z) < \pi $
$e^z $ is one to one in D
Now define the function $g(z)= \log (z) $ which has the range D
The branch cut of $\log (z) $ describe the range not the domain of log ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Amer said:
What is the Branch cut for the log(z) ?

Correct me if I am wrong.
I know that the function $f(z) = e^z$ , is periodic function with period $2 \pi $
so to define the function $\log(z) $ we have to restrict the domain of $e^z$
for example taking the points $D : z \in \mathbb{C} $ such that $-\pi < arg (z) < \pi $
$e^z $ is one to one in D
Now define the function $g(z)= \log (z) $ which has the range D
The branch cut of $\log (z) $ describe the range not the domain of log ?

Thanks

The branch point of a multivalued function is a point in the complex plane from which several branchs of the function depart. The function f(z) = ln z has only one branch point in z=0...

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

$w=e^z$ then if $-\pi <Im(z) < \pi $ the function $w$ is one to one. Now assume the following

\(\displaystyle z=e^w\) and we want to find $w$ satisfiying the property then $|z|=e^u$ implies that $u = \ln |z|$ and $v=arg(e^z)=arg(z) \in (-\pi ,\pi ) $. Hence we have

$$w=\log(z) = \ln|z|+iarg(z) \,\,\,;\, arg(z) \in (-\pi , \pi ) $$

Hence defining the principle logarithm with branch cut on the negative real axis.

Related to What is the Branch Cut for log(z)?

What is the Branch Cut for log(z)?

The branch cut for log(z) is a line in the complex plane where the function is not well-defined. This is because the complex logarithm function is multivalued and the branch cut is necessary to define a single-valued function.

Why is the Branch Cut necessary for log(z)?

The branch cut is necessary for log(z) because it helps to avoid ambiguity in the definition of the function. Without a branch cut, the complex logarithm function would have infinitely many values and would not be well-defined.

Where is the Branch Cut located for log(z)?

The branch cut for log(z) is typically located along the negative real axis in the complex plane, extending from the origin to negative infinity.

How does the Branch Cut affect the values of log(z)?

The branch cut affects the values of log(z) by restricting the values of the function to a single branch. This means that the values of log(z) will be different depending on which branch is chosen.

How do I choose the correct Branch Cut for log(z)?

The choice of branch cut for log(z) is arbitrary, but it is usually chosen so that the function is continuous and single-valued on the complex plane. Different branches may be chosen depending on the specific problem or application.