What is the Brewster Angle for Circularly Polarized Light?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field B, electric field E, and Poynting vector S for a circularly polarized monochromatic wave reflected from a dielectric mirror with parameters μ and ε. The angle of incidence for which the reflected wave becomes linearly polarized (Brewster angle) also needs to be determined, along with the energy of the system. The equations used for this problem include B = B0.sin(ωt + δ), rot E = - ∂B/∂t, E = -ωB0.cos (ωt + δ), and S = B x E / μ. The use of either μ or μo (in vacuum) for the Poynting
Mary 006

Homework Statement

Hello everybody. I have a big problem with this important problem that i can't solve and i have no solution ... A circularly polarized monochromatic wave is reflected from a dielectric mirror which has parameters μ and ε. Its wave vector is k = (k0, 2k0,0). Find the magnetic field B, the electric field E and the Poynting vector S as well as the angle of incidence for which the reflected wave is linearly polarized (i.e. the Brewster angle). Calculate the energy of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think we have to use this (very) general equations :
B = B0.sin(ωt + δ)
rot E = - ∂B/∂t
E = -ωB0.cos (ωt + δ)
where : ω=k.c = 2∏c/λ
For the circular polarization, the electric field rotates about its axis in a circle.
Then, for linear polarization: E remains in the same plane.
For the Poynting vector : S = B x E / μ (i am not sure if for this equation i have to use μ or μo (in vacuum)). Then we can calculate the energy, I guess ...
About the angle Brewster, i think we have to use the Fresnel equations (but i don't know how ...).
I wonder whether it would be better to use the equations in the complex form (instead of the actual form equations (real form)).

Can you help me, please ? Thank you in advance.
I know that what i have written is not very usefull ... And I'm sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thing about how reflection works for different polarizations, and how you can resolve circular polarization into components wrt the plane of the mirror.

Related to What is the Brewster Angle for Circularly Polarized Light?

1. What is the problem of electromagnetism?

The problem of electromagnetism refers to the discrepancy between classical electromagnetism theory and quantum mechanics. Classical electromagnetism, which describes the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, is deterministic and continuous, while quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of subatomic particles, is probabilistic and discrete. This conflict has been a major challenge in the field of physics for decades.

2. How has the problem of electromagnetism been addressed?

Scientists have attempted to reconcile the two theories through various approaches, such as the development of quantum field theory and the introduction of new concepts like gauge invariance. Additionally, experiments have been conducted to test the predictions of these theories and to search for any potential flaws.

3. Why is the problem of electromagnetism important?

Addressing the problem of electromagnetism is crucial for understanding the fundamental nature of the universe. It has implications for a wide range of fields, including particle physics, quantum computing, and cosmology. Additionally, a successful resolution could potentially lead to groundbreaking advancements in technology.

4. What are some current theories that attempt to solve the problem of electromagnetism?

One of the most widely accepted theories is quantum electrodynamics (QED), which combines quantum mechanics with special relativity to describe the interactions between electrically charged particles. Other theories include quantum chromodynamics (QCD) and the Standard Model, which aim to explain the strong and weak nuclear forces, as well as the electromagnetic force.

5. Is the problem of electromagnetism considered solved?

While significant progress has been made in reconciling classical electromagnetism with quantum mechanics, the problem of electromagnetism is still an ongoing area of research and debate. Some scientists believe that a unified theory that fully explains the behavior of all fundamental forces and particles has yet to be discovered. Others argue that the problem may never be fully solved, as new evidence and discoveries could potentially lead to further revisions and developments in our understanding of electromagnetism.