What is the Bungee Jumper's Speed at a Height of 12.5 m Above the Water?

In summary, the problem gives the mass, force constant, and distance of a bungee jumper standing on a platform above a river. The jumper falls from rest and just touches the water at a speed of zero. The problem asks to use conservation of energy to determine the jumper's speed at a height of 12.5 m above the water on the first fall. By calculating the difference in potential energy due to gravity and the stored energy in the cord, the velocity at 12.5 m can be determined.
Uncle6

Homework Statement

"A bungee jumper of mass 64.5 kg ( including safety gear) is standing on a platform 48.0 m above a river. The length of the unstretched bungee cord is 10.1 m. The force constant of the cord is 65.5 N/m. The jumper falls from rest and just touches the water at a speed of zero. The cord acts like an ideal spring. Use conservation of energy to determine the jumper's speed at a height of 12.5 m above the water on the first fall."

m=64.5 kg
fconstant= 65.5 N/m
dT=48.0m
v3=0 m/s
unstreched bungee cord = 10.1 m
y2 = 12.5m
RTF = v2

Homework Equations

W=0
Et1=Et2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram first of total distance 48.0 m. There is 10.1 down from the top and 12.5 m up from the bottom.
I make x1 the distance that remains
So: x1 = 48.0-10.1-12.5 = 37.9m
x2= x1+12.5 = 25.4

0 = ΔEg+ΔEk+ΔEe
(Rearrange)
v2 = sqrt(2(mgΔy+1/2m(vsub3)^2+1/2k(xsub2)^2 -1/2k(xsub1)^2)/m)
(at bottom, the velocity(vsub3) is 0, I plug in #s)
= 23.6 m/s (books says 6.37 m/s)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've almost got it. I get 6.3748 m/s.

The Difference in Potential Energy of gravity minus what gets stored in the cord is what's available for KE.

The 35.5m drop to the 12.m mark is 22,439.55 J.
The PE of the cord is 21,128.99 J
the difference is 1310.56 J which is the KE of the jumper at that point.

Check the signs of your equation.

Uncle6 said:
"A bungee jumper of mass 64.5 kg ( including safety gear) is standing on a platform 48.0 m above a river. The length of the unstretched bungee cord is 10.1 m. The force constant of the cord is 65.5 N/m. The jumper falls from rest and just touches the water at a speed of zero.
Something doesn't seem right about these numbers (or maybe I just need more coffee?). Compare the decrease in gravitational PE when the jumper falls 48 m to the increase in spring PE when he just touches the water (how much has the cord stretched?).

Im still having trouble with this question. I don't understand the Elastic Pot Energy. Could explain to me the heights you used and why.

I don't understand how to get 35.5 m

Uncle6 said:
Im still having trouble with this question. I don't understand the Elastic Pot Energy. Could explain to me the heights you used and why.

I don't understand how to get 35.5 m

You start at 48 m.

They want his velocity at 12.5 m. 48 - 12.5 = 35.5 m. That's how much potential energy has been converted from gravity.

Now if there was no bungee attached to his feet he'd be trucking pretty darn quickly toward impact. But that's where the bungee enters. After he has had the enjoyment of 10.1 m of free fall he reaches the relaxed length of his bungee. Now comes the retarding effect. As he drops lower and lower the bungee gets stretched and as it gets stretched that kinetic energy that he was gaining on the way down gets drained away starting at 10.1 m.

Happily they say the bungee will save him before impact. But at the point of interest 12.5 m he still has kinetic energy and hence velocity.

So ... what he has then is the potential energy of the drop to that point propelling him still less what the bungee has been robbing away as it stretches to that point (what went into spring potential energy).

Hence m*g*h -1/2kx2 = 1/2*m*v2

h is the fall to that point. x is how far it's stretched since he passed 10.1m.

K, got it thanks.

Related to What is the Bungee Jumper's Speed at a Height of 12.5 m Above the Water?

What is the purpose of the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment?

The purpose of the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment is to demonstrate the principles of energy conservation and elastic potential energy by calculating the drop height and bungee cord length needed for a safe and successful bungee jump.

What materials are needed for the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment?

The materials needed for the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment include a platform or high surface to drop from, a bungee cord, a measuring tape, a calculator, and a safety harness for the jumper.

How is the drop height and bungee cord length calculated in the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment?

The drop height and bungee cord length are calculated using the equations for elastic potential energy and the conservation of energy. The drop height can be determined by setting the potential energy at the top of the platform equal to the potential energy at the lowest point of the jump. The bungee cord length can then be calculated using the spring constant of the bungee cord and the weight of the jumper.

What safety precautions should be taken when conducting the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment?

Safety is of utmost importance when conducting the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment. It is essential to use a safety harness for the jumper and to make sure the bungee cord is in good condition. It is also important to have a clear landing area and to calculate the drop height and bungee cord length accurately to ensure a safe and successful jump.

What are some potential sources of error in the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment?

Some potential sources of error in the Gr12 Energy Prob (Bungee) experiment include inaccurate measurements of the bungee cord length or drop height, variations in the elasticity of the bungee cord, and human error in calculations. It is important to take multiple measurements and to use precise equipment to minimize these sources of error.