What is the calculation for determining motor shaft RPM using a tachometer?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the RPM of a motor shaft using a tachometer. The tachometer was placed on the outside of the shaft and the results showed a 1400 RPM reading. The calculation to determine the shaft RPM is RPMt * dt/ds, with the given values resulting in 3675 shaft RPM. The simplicity of this calculation is noted and appreciated by the participants in the conversation.
Tweaked9107
I am trying to figure out the speed that a motor shaft is running at but i have no reference materials to work with. I had to place a tachometer on the outside of the shaft as there was no centre drilled hole to work from. I got the following results:

Diameter of tachometer: 31.5mm
Diameter of motor shaft: 12mm
RPM of tachometer: 1400rpm

What calculation would i need to work out the rpm of the motor shaft?

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't the rpm of the shaft be 1400 rpm unless I am missing something , or are you wanting the angular velocity

If the tachometer is of the type that uses a contact wheel to pick up rotation, then the shaft RMPs = RPMt * dt/ds, where subscript s is for shaft and t for tachometer. With the values you gave, the 1400 tachometer RPM then corresponds to 3675 shaft RPM.

Filip Larsen said:
If the tachometer is of the type that uses a contact wheel to pick up rotation, then the shaft RMPs = RPMt * dt/ds, where subscript s is for shaft and t for tachometer. With the values you gave, the 1400 tachometer RPM then corresponds to 3675 shaft RPM.

Yeh that's the answer I had as well. I just thought it seemed too simple to be the same principle as gear ratio's. Thanks for your help.

The calculation for determining motor shaft RPM using a tachometer is as follows:

Motor shaft RPM = (Tachometer RPM) * (Tachometer diameter / Motor shaft diameter)

In this case, the calculation would be:

Motor shaft RPM = (1400rpm) * (31.5mm/12mm) = 3666.67rpm

It is important to note that this calculation assumes that the tachometer is accurately measuring the rotational speed of the motor shaft and that the tachometer is properly calibrated. If there is any uncertainty in these factors, the calculated RPM may not be completely accurate. Additionally, it is always recommended to have a center drilled hole for more accurate measurements.

Related to What is the calculation for determining motor shaft RPM using a tachometer?

What is shaft speed calculation?

Shaft speed calculation is the process of determining the rotational speed of a shaft, which is the rate at which it rotates in revolutions per minute (RPM).

Why is shaft speed calculation important?

Shaft speed calculation is important because it helps engineers and scientists design and analyze machines that use rotating shafts, such as engines, turbines, and pumps. It also allows them to determine the appropriate speed for efficient and safe operation.

What factors are involved in shaft speed calculation?

The factors involved in shaft speed calculation include the diameter and length of the shaft, the power input, the type of bearing used, and the load that the shaft must support.

How is shaft speed calculated?

Shaft speed can be calculated using the formula RPM = (60 x Frequency) / Number of Poles, where frequency is the speed at which the motor rotates and the number of poles refers to the number of magnetic poles in the motor.

What is the unit of measurement for shaft speed?

Shaft speed is typically measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) or rotations per minute (RPS). In some cases, it may also be measured in radians per second (rad/s) or hertz (Hz).