What is the capacitance of a capacitor constructed using foil and paper?

• Thread starter Number1Ballar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, we have a capacitor constructed with two 5cm*25cm foil sheets and a 0.3mm thick piece of paper (k=3.7). The capacitance is 1.36 nF.
Number1Ballar

Homework Statement

Suppose you constructed a capacitor using two 5cm*25cm sheets of foil and a 0.3mm thick piece of paper (k=3.7). What is its capacitance? Calculate to 1 decimal place. Use units of "nF". (1nF=1*10^-9F)

Homework Equations

c398c6d4bebd070bb92b186575881980.png

where d is the distance between the 2 sheets, A is the area of 1 sheet.

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation above is the only equation I could find that involved area of a capacitor. I found A = (0.25m)(0.05m) = 0.0125m2. I don't know where the paper comes in, nor do I understand what 'k' is and what formula I am supposed to use for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure but I think k is the dielectric constant of paper.

See, the way a capacitor works is that you have two plates next to each other, charged oppositely. This creates an electric field between them, making the electrons want to jump across to the positive side.

In order to get more out of these plates, you put something in between, which lowers the electric field in between the plates. This means that you now have to pile up more charge on the plates to have the same kind of electric field as you had before, giving your capacitor more storage space, i.e. capacitance.

So in this case you are putting paper in between the two plates, and I *believe* that that is what "k" is and you just plug that in for epsilon.

If you want to use that equation (and I would suggest that) then you need to figure out what your values of [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]\it{d}[/tex] are.

It would help to picture this capacitor that you're trying to build. From wikipedia:
The simplest practical capacitor consists of two wide, flat, parallel plates separated by a thin dielectric layer.

You need to investigate what a dielectric is and how that relates [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]\it{k}[/tex]. I'll give you a hint and tell you that [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] is known as the permittivity of free space.

Hope this helps.

hmmm okay I'm starting to see how a capacitor works, but am still a little confused on how to do this problem.

I see that if the paper was in between these 2 sheets, then 'd' would equal 0.0003m, 'A' would equal 0.0125m2, and for [tex]\epsilon[/tex] I would plug in the value of k given?

so..

C = (3.7)(0.0125m2) / (0.0003m) = 154.17 ...which seems quite high for the answer...I think I'm still not getting something

You need to better understand the differences between [tex]\epsilon[/tex], [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\it{k}[/tex]. Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_constant" where [tex]\epsilon_{s}[/tex] as given in their equation is what your equation calls [tex]\epsilon[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
actually I think I figured it out..

C = (3.7)(8.85 X 10-12 F/m)(0.0125m2) / (0.0003m) = 1.36 X 10-9F

= 1.36 nF

Related to What is the capacitance of a capacitor constructed using foil and paper?

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic device that is used to store and release electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged while the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. This stored electrical energy can be released when needed.

2. What materials are commonly used to construct a capacitor?

The conductive plates of a capacitor are typically made of metal, such as aluminum or copper. The dielectric material can vary, but some commonly used materials include ceramic, plastic, and paper. The type of dielectric used can affect the capacitance and other properties of the capacitor.

3. How is the capacitance of a capacitor determined?

The capacitance of a capacitor is determined by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, including the size and shape of the conductive plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric used. The formula for capacitance is C = ε0A/d, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. What are some common uses for capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of uses in electronic circuits. They are commonly used in power supplies to smooth out voltage fluctuations, in audio equipment to filter out unwanted frequencies, and in motors to improve their efficiency. They are also used in electronic devices such as cameras, laptops, and smartphones to store energy and provide quick bursts of power when needed.

5. How can I construct a capacitor at home?

Constructing a capacitor at home can be a fun and educational experiment. One method is to use aluminum foil as the conductive plates and a piece of wax paper as the dielectric. Place the foil and wax paper in layers, alternating between them, and then roll them tightly into a cylinder. Place the cylinder between two metal plates and connect wires to each plate to complete the circuit. Keep in mind that the capacitance of a homemade capacitor may not be very high, but the basic concept can be demonstrated.