What Is the Centroid of the Region Bounded by y = (4x-x^2) and y = x?

• Thread starter cwbullivant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, the centroid of the region bounded by the curves y = (4x-x^2) and y = x is located at (-6.75, 0). The value of f(x)-g(x) at x = 1 is -3.
cwbullivant

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the region bounded by the curves y = (4x-x^2) and y = x.

Homework Equations

Centroid = (x-bar, y-bar)

x-bar = My/M

y-bar = Mx/M

M = ∫ρ[f(x) - g(x)]dx

My = ∫ρ(x)[f(x) - g(x)]dx

Mx = ∫(1/2)ρ[{f(x)}^2 - {g(x)}^2]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I define y = x to be f(x), and y = 4x - x^2 to be g(x), so that the x^2 value will be positive, and simplify calculations. This leaves f(x) - g(x) as x^2 - 3x. The curves meet at x = 0 and x = 3, so I am integrating from 0 to 3.

Using the first integral for M, I get (27/2)ρ. This isn't a problem, a value along these lines was expecting.

The second integral is where the problem lays.

∫ρ(x)[f(x) - g(x)]dx simplifies to ρ(∫x^3 - 3x^2 dx) on the interval 0 to 3. The anti-derivative generated is: ρ([x^4]/4 - x^3)|(3-0)

This appears to simplify to -6.75, but since the curves meet, and thus the region for the centroid I am finding is contained entirely in the first quadrant, it seems that it's impossible for there to be a negative value in any of these integrals.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwbullivant said:
First, I define y = x to be f(x), and y = 4x - x^2 to be g(x), so that the x^2 value will be positive,
And what will the value of f(x)-g(x) be at, say, x = 1?

Related to What Is the Centroid of the Region Bounded by y = (4x-x^2) and y = x?

1. What is the centroid quadrant problem?

The centroid quadrant problem refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the centroid (or center of mass) of a region bounded by two curves. This problem is often encountered in calculus and can have real-world applications in physics and engineering.

2. How do you solve the centroid quadrant problem?

To solve the centroid quadrant problem, one can use the formula:
x̅ = 1/A ∫x*f(x)dx, where A is the area of the region and f(x) is the function describing the curves. The same formula can be used to find the y-coordinate of the centroid. Integration techniques and knowledge of calculus are required to solve this problem.

3. What is the significance of finding the centroid of a region?

The centroid of a region is important because it represents the "balance point" of the region. This means that if the region were a physical object, it would balance perfectly on the centroid. In real-world applications, the centroid can help determine the stability and structural integrity of an object.

4. Can the centroid of a region be outside of the region?

Yes, the centroid of a region can be outside of the region. This typically occurs when the region is not symmetric or has irregular shapes. However, the x- and y-coordinates of the centroid will still be accurate in representing the balance point of the region.

5. Are there any practical applications of the centroid quadrant problem?

Yes, the centroid quadrant problem has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can be used to determine the stability of structures, the distribution of weight in an object, and the center of pressure in fluid mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the center of a shape for rotation or scaling.