What Is the Change in Enthalpy for Diamond to CO2 at High Temperatures?

• Thread starter Junkwisch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the problem statement is asking for the change in enthalpy for the process of diamond turning into CO2 at high temperatures of a house fire, with the system at T = 298 K and P = 1 atm. The enthalpy of combustion for diamond is given as -395.41 kJ/mol. Hess's Law will be used to calculate the change in enthalpy at the higher temperature. Additional information needed includes the molar heat capacity of C(s) and CO2(g) and the typical temperature of a house fire.
Junkwisch

Homework Statement

A house fire generates sufficient temperatures to ignite diamond and cause it to burn into CO2. What is the change in enthalpy of the process “diamond to CO2” with the system at T = 298 K and P = 10^-5 Pa? The enthalpy of combustion of diamond is –395.41 kJ/Mol

Homework Equations

H=U+PV
F=U-TS
G=U-TS-PV=H-TS

Hess's Law,

where H is enthalpy
F is Helmholtz free energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told to find the change in enthalpy when diamond is convert into CO2

C(s,diamond)--> CO2 = -395.41kJ,Mol

since Enthalpy of combustion = released energy x number of moles

thereby released energy/enthalpy = Enthalpy of combustion / number of moles

But I do not know the number of moles, this were not stated in the question as well

"I have yet to be taught on this topic, and it is unlikely that I will be. I was told to answer this while giving this link http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Thermodynamics/Thermodynamic_Cycles/Hess's_Law"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Junkwisch said:

Homework Statement

A house fire generates sufficient temperatures to ignite diamond and cause it to burn into CO2. What is the change in enthalpy of the process “diamond to CO2” with the system at T = 298 K and P = 10^-5 Pa? The enthalpy of combustion of diamond is –395.41 kJ/Mol

Homework Equations

H=U+PV
F=U-TS
G=U-TS-PV=H-TS

Hess's Law,

where H is enthalpy
F is Helmholtz free energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told to find the change in enthalpy when diamond is convert into CO2

C(s,diamond)--> CO2 = -395.41kJ,Mol

since Enthalpy of combustion = released energy x number of moles

thereby released energy/enthalpy = Enthalpy of combustion / number of moles

But I do not know the number of moles, this were not stated in the question as well

"I have yet to be taught on this topic, and it is unlikely that I will be. I was told to answer this while giving this link http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Thermodynamics/Thermodynamic_Cycles/Hess's_Law"[/QUOTE]

There are several confusing points about this problem statement. I think the statement meant to say "what is the change in enthalpy for the process diamond --> CO2 at the high temperatures of house fires if the change in enthalpy at 298 K and 1 atm is -395.41 kJ/mole. I think you meant to say that the pressure is P = 10^+5 Pa (1 atm), rather than P = 10^-5 Pa (0.000001) atm. You don't need to know the number of moles, because the heat of combustion is for 1 mole. It even says -345.41 kJ/mol.

To do this problem, you need to use Hess' Law, so that you can calculate the change in enthalpy at the higher temperature. Are you familiar with Hess' law? If so, tell us your understanding of it. Also, what is a typical temperature for a house fire. You need to research this so that you can solve the problem. You are also going to need to know the molar heat capacity of C(s) and CO2(g) by researching this on line.

Chet

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

Related to What Is the Change in Enthalpy for Diamond to CO2 at High Temperatures?

1. What is Enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that describes the total energy of a system.

2. How do you calculate the change in Enthalpy?

The change in Enthalpy (ΔH) can be calculated by taking the difference between the Enthalpy of the products and the Enthalpy of the reactants.

3. What is the significance of calculating the change in Enthalpy?

The change in Enthalpy is important because it can help us determine whether a reaction is exothermic (releases energy) or endothermic (absorbs energy) and how much energy is involved in the reaction.

4. What units are used to measure Enthalpy?

The standard unit for Enthalpy is joules (J), but it is often measured in kilojoules (kJ) in chemistry and physics.

5. Can the change in Enthalpy be negative?

Yes, the change in Enthalpy can be negative if the reaction is exothermic, meaning that energy is released. A positive change in Enthalpy indicates an endothermic reaction where energy is absorbed.