What is the chemical formula for moist air at 20°C?

In summary: This person is incorrect. The mixture will still be in equilibrium at the same temperature and pressure. The air will have a larger volume because it will contain more water vapor, but that will not change the stoichiometry of the mixture.In summary, the mixture will still be in equilibrium at the same temperature and pressure.
davidwinth
I am trying to find the chemical formula for moist air. By using an online psychrometric calculator, I find that moist air at 20°C has a mol fraction of water=0.0235 and mol fraction dry air=0.9765.

Does this mean like this?

0.9765(O2 + 3.76N2) + 0.0235H2O ----> 41.55(O2 + 3.76N2) + H20

My confusion comes when I think about 1 mol of air. Does 1 mol of air have 1 mol of oxygen and 3.76 mols of N2 or does 1 mol of air contain .21 mols of oxygen and .79 mols of N2? If the latter, then I think the formula above is wrong and it should be:

0.9765(0.21O2 + 0.79N2) + 0.0235H2O
----> 0.205O2 + 0.771N2 + 0.0235H2O
----> O2+ 3.76N2 + 0.115H2O.

Which one is right, or is neither one right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
davidwinth said:
Does this mean like this?
No.
If O2 and N2 are present in a mol ratio of 1 : 3.76 , then 1 mol of air is 1/(1+3.76) mol of O2 and 3.76/(1+3.76) mol of N2, so

0.9765(O2 + 3.76N2)/4.76 + 0.0235H2O​

adding up to 1 mol/mol

http://staff.www.ltu.se/~lassew/ene/moist.pdf

I may not be correctly understanding what you're after but, as far as I am aware,moist air does not have a "formula". It's not in solution - it is simply a bunch of chemicals (some gas, one liquid) mixed together, so I'm not sure the equations will generate meaningful results. They can combine in almost any quantity, and they aren't producing byproducts because they're not interacting chemically.

But I could be wrong.

There should be a formula for the given mol fractions. We should at least be able to write one down. I hope so anyway, because I need to use this formula in the next step!

BvU said:
No.
If O2 and N2 are present in a mol ratio of 1 : 3.76 , then 1 mol of air is 1/(1+3.76) mol of O2 and 3.76/(1+3.76) mol of N2, so

0.9765(O2 + 3.76N2)/4.76 + 0.0235H2O​

adding up to 1 mol/mol

http://staff.www.ltu.se/~lassew/ene/moist.pdf
O.k, this is the same as my second answer. Thank you!

You can express the composition of a mixture with a "formula" - while technically mixture is not a compound it is often convenient to use this approach.

Exact numbers don't matter much - what matters is their ratio, to some extent O2+3.76N2 and 0.21O2+0.79N2 mean the same thing. Sometimes it is more convenient to choose one of the numbers (typically the lowest) and make it 1, sometimes it is more convenient to make the numbers sum to 1 (so that each expresses actual molar fraction of a mixture component). There is no convention that I am aware of that would make one approach more correct than the other (could be some trades do have such conventions).

By 1 mole of air I would understand such an amount of air that contains exactly 1 mole of molecules of all types, it will behave as 1 mole of gas when it comes to volume it occupies (that is, as long as the ideal gas approximation holds reasonably well). Then if numbers in the "formula" sum to 1 each refers to actual number of moles of a component in "1 mole".

For the mole fractions given, one mole of moist air contains (0.9765)(0.21) moles of oxygen, (0.9765)(0.79) moles of nitrogen, and 0.0235 moles of water vapor. There is no chemical reaction formula after this, because there is no reaction.

Likes jim hardy
Chestermiller said:
For the mole fractions given, one mole of moist air contains (0.9765)(0.21) moles of oxygen, (0.9765)(0.79) moles of nitrogen, and 0.0235 moles of water vapor. There is no chemical reaction formula after this, because there is no reaction.

I just wanted the "formula". The reaction happens in the next step.

davidwinth said:
I just wanted the "formula". The reaction happens in the next step.
There is no formula because no reaction takes place (yet).

Likes jim hardy
Chestermiller said:
There is no formula because no reaction takes place (yet).

But there is... we found it.

How to make moist air? Follow this formula...

O2 + 3.76N2 + 0.115H2O

davidwinth said:
But there is... we found it.

How to make moist air? Follow this formula...

O2 + 3.76N2 + 0.115H2O
That would be 4.875 moles of moist air.

Chestermiller said:
That would be 4.875 moles of moist air.

Yes! Thanks.

I thought the next part would be easy but I am having trouble there too. I am sending dry air to mix with propane in stoichiometric ratio. So, for every volume of propane that I send to the burner, I useC3H8 + 5(O2+3.76N2) -> 3CO2 + 4H2O + 18.8N2

So that is 5+18.8 = 23.8 volumes of propane. So far so good. But the question arose: what happens if I saturate those 23.8 volumes of air on the way to the burner, such that it ends up saturated at the same temperature and pressure? It should have a larger volume due to the addition of water vapor, but one person says it will no longer be stoichiometric while another says it is still stoichiometric because the oxygen and fuel are in the same relative ratio even if water is added to the air along the way.

We end up with:

C3H8 + 5(O2+ 3.76N2 + 0.115H2O)

My thinking is that for every 23.8 volumes of air I send, even though it gets water added to it, all this does is dilute the final fuel-wetair mixture but it is still stoichiometric. I am just not sure how to prove myself wrong or right. Do I need to use mass instead of volumes here? Thanks for any input.

davidwinth said:
Yes! Thanks.

I thought the next part would be easy but I am having trouble there too. I am sending dry air to mix with propane in stoichiometric ratio. So, for every volume of propane that I send to the burner, I useC3H8 + 5(O2+3.76N2) -> 3CO2 + 4H2O + 18.8N2

So that is 5+18.8 = 23.8 volumes of propane. So far so good. But the question arose: what happens if I saturate those 23.8 volumes of air on the way to the burner, such that it ends up saturated at the same temperature and pressure? It should have a larger volume due to the addition of water vapor, but one person says it will no longer be stoichiometric while another says it is still stoichiometric because the oxygen and fuel are in the same relative ratio even if water is added to the air along the way.

We end up with:

C3H8 + 5(O2+ 3.76N2 + 0.115H2O)

My thinking is that for every 23.8 volumes of air I send, even though it gets water added to it, all this does is dilute the final fuel-wetair mixture but it is still stoichiometric. I am just not sure how to prove myself wrong or right. Do I need to use mass instead of volumes here? Thanks for any input.
The important thing for a stoichiometric ratio is the ratio of moles oxygen to moles pentane. The relationship you gave is correct. For using moist air, you need (23.8/0.9765) moles of moist air to get the same ratio of oxygen to pentane.

Likes jim hardy
Thank you ChesterMiller.

I think I may be missing something. It sounds like you are saying two opposite things. Am I correct in thinking that the final mixture is stoichiometric regardless of whether the 23.8 volumes of dry air gets saturated along the way to the burner? You say the relationship I gave is correct, but then you say I need 23.8/0.9765 mols of moist air. (I thank you for your help.)

Last edited:
The 23.8 moles of dry air have the required stoichiometric amount of oxygen. If this air gets saturated with moisture along the way, you will have 24.4 moles of moist air, but it will still contain the correct stoichiometric amount of oxygen. I hope this explains it satisfactorily.

Likes jim hardy
Thank you!

Related to What is the chemical formula for moist air at 20°C?

1. What is moist air?

Moist air is air that contains a significant amount of water vapor. It is commonly found in our atmosphere and is essential for the water cycle and weather patterns.

2. How is the amount of water vapor in air measured?

The amount of water vapor in air is typically measured using a device called a hygrometer. This instrument measures the relative humidity, which is the percentage of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount that could be held at a given temperature.

3. What is the ideal humidity level for indoor air?

The ideal humidity level for indoor air is generally between 30-50%. This range is comfortable for most people and helps to prevent issues such as mold growth and respiratory problems. However, the recommended humidity level may vary depending on personal preferences and specific health conditions.

4. How does moisture in the air affect human health?

Excess moisture in the air can lead to discomfort and health issues. High humidity levels can create a breeding ground for mold, bacteria, and dust mites, which can trigger allergies and respiratory problems. On the other hand, low humidity levels can cause dry skin, irritated eyes, and respiratory issues.

5. How does moisture in the air affect the weather?

Moisture in the air plays a significant role in the weather. As the sun heats the Earth's surface, moisture evaporates and rises into the atmosphere, forming clouds and eventually precipitation. The amount of moisture in the air also affects the temperature, wind patterns, and other weather phenomena.