What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction Between the Box and the Dirt?

In summary: Without the negative sign, you're adding the two velocities and getting a larger value than what you need because the two velocities are not equal.
brunettegurl
coefficient of kinetic friction URGENT PLS. HELP!

Homework Statement

A box of mass 35 kg is sliding down a patch of frictionless snow inclined at 25deg to the horizontal with a speed of 6.0m/s when its a bare patch of dirt that's 1.50 m across.If the box's speed is reduced by 0.5m/s by the time it reaches the far side of the bare patch, whtas the coefficient of kinetic friction between box and the dirt?

Homework Equations

vf^2=vi^2+2ad
[tex]\sum[/tex]F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

ok first i used the equation vf^2=vi^2+2ad and rearranged it for a by using the speeds and not their components(vocotheta).. then w/the a= -1.917 i used the
[tex]\sum[/tex]F=ma
Ff-Fg=ma
mu*mg*costheta-mgcostheta=ma
mue= [tex]\frac{ma+mgcostheta}{mgcostheta}[/tex]

and solved I'm getting an answer of 0.78 while i should be getting an answer 0.68 pls. help

Physics news on Phys.org

The component of gravity down the incline is sin25.

so then this would be the correct equation
[tex]\sum[/tex]F=ma
Ff-Fg=ma
mu*mg*costheta-mgcostheta=ma
mue= [tex]\frac{ma+mgsintheta}{mgcostheta}[/tex]

also does it make sense when finding the velocity to not do vcostheta ..??

brunettegurl said:
also does it make sense when finding the velocity to not do vcostheta ..??

The V2 equation is for a uniformly accelerating object.

So what you are calculating there is the deceleration over the distance given. I guess I don't understand why you would have an interest in v*cos25 unless they were giving you only the horizontal component of velocity. But in this problem they are giving you the distance along the slope. So, ... use the velocity along the slope as given.

Your equation above for μ should yield the desired result.

ok i got the answer but i have one question.. when i plug in the value of a why does it work without the negative sign?? ..thanks :))

brunettegurl said:
ok i got the answer but i have one question.. when i plug in the value of a why does it work without the negative sign?? ..thanks :))

Because it slows down.

FAQ: What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction Between the Box and the Dirt?

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion. It is represented by the symbol μk and is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 to 1.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction (Fk) by the normal force (N) between the two surfaces. The formula is μk = Fk/N.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by factors such as the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. It also depends on the presence of any lubricants or fluids between the surfaces.

4. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it helps us understand the amount of force needed to keep an object in motion on a surface. It also plays a crucial role in determining the efficiency and performance of machines and vehicles.

5. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is the measure of resistance between two surfaces when one is in motion, while the coefficient of static friction is the measure of resistance between two surfaces when they are not moving. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.