What Is the Coefficient of Static Friction for a Ladder Leaning Against a Wall?

In summary: Actually, the normal force is not perpendicular to the floor and base of the ladder. It is instead acting at an angle of 22.0 degrees to the wall.
kritzy

Homework Statement

A uniform 6.0m long ladder of mass 17.0 kg leans against a smooth wall (so the force F_w exerted by the wall, , is perpendicular to the wall). The ladder makes an angle of 22.0 with the vertical wall, and the ground is rough.Determine the coefficient of static friction at the base of the ladder if the ladder is not to slip when a 75.0kg person stands three-fourths of the way up the ladder.

Homework Equations

τ=RxF
F=ma
N=normal force from ground

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that if I take the sum of torques and the sum of the forces I could determine the static friction but I'm stuck.
Assuming that my axis of rotation is the point where the ladder is leaning against the wall
τ= [1.5 x (75)(9.8)(cos(22))] + [3 x (17)(9.8)(cos(22))] + [Nsin(22)]=0

Y-direction: sum of forces
F=N-(75)(9.8)-(17)(9.8)=0

X-direction: sum of forces
F=µN=0

I'm stuck because the coefficient of static friction can't be zero. Can somebody please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
kritzy said:

Homework Statement

A uniform 6.0m long ladder of mass 17.0 kg leans against a smooth wall (so the force F_w exerted by the wall, , is perpendicular to the wall). The ladder makes an angle of 22.0 with the vertical wall, and the ground is rough.Determine the coefficient of static friction at the base of the ladder if the ladder is not to slip when a 75.0kg person stands three-fourths of the way up the ladder.

Homework Equations

τ=RxF
F=ma
N=normal force from ground

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that if I take the sum of torques and the sum of the forces I could determine the static friction but I'm stuck.
Assuming that my axis of rotation is the point where the ladder is leaning against the wall
τ= [1.5 x (75)(9.8)(cos(22))] + [3 x (17)(9.8)(cos(22))] + [Nsin(22)]=0

Y-direction: sum of forces
F=N-(75)(9.8)-(17)(9.8)=0

X-direction: sum of forces
F=µN=0

I'm stuck because the coefficient of static friction can't be zero. Can somebody please help?
According to your equation, the torque resulting from the frictional force is acting to rotate the ladder in the same direction as the weight of the person and the ladder.

Furthermore, in your equation it appears that the frictional force is acting 1m from the pivot, which is not the case.

Hootenanny said:
According to your equation, the torque resulting from the frictional force is acting to rotate the ladder in the same direction as the weight of the person and the ladder.

Furthermore, in your equation it appears that the frictional force is acting 1m from the pivot, which is not the case.

So, the torque from friction shouldn't be rotating in the same direction as the person?

Which equation do I need to change, the torque?

kritzy said:
So, the torque from friction shouldn't be rotating in the same direction as the person?
In which direction does the frictional force act, towards or away from the wall?

kritzy said:

Homework Statement

Actually I am new to this forum and also reading physics after almost 5yrs. So I'm actually trying to solve this problem. So kindly inform me whether my method and answer is correct or not.
I have attached the soln in .bmp format

Attachments

• Ladder Pro_Soln.bmp
    40.1 KB · Views: 676
Amar.alchemy said:
Actually I am new to this forum and also reading physics after almost 5yrs. So I'm actually trying to solve this problem. So kindly inform me whether my method and answer is correct or not.
I have attached the soln in .bmp format
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Unfortunately, no your solution is not correct. The weight of the person and the ladder does not act through the base of the ladder, it acts through the associated centre of mass. There are only two forces acting at the base of the ladder: the frictional force and the normal reaction force.

Thanks for replying :-)

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The weight of the person and the ladder does not act through the base of the ladder, it acts through the associated centre of mass. There are only two forces acting at the base of the ladder: the frictional force and the normal reaction force.

So, in that case what force makes the base of the ladder to move away from the wall.
Is the normal force making the ladder to move away from the wall? I think it will be perpendicular to the floor and base of the ladder... rite??

Amar.alchemy said:
So, in that case what force makes the base of the ladder to move away from the wall.
Is the normal force making the ladder to move away from the wall? I think it will be perpendicular to the floor and base of the ladder... rite??
The base of the ladder will move away from the wall if the torque created by the frictional force is not sufficient to balance the torque created by the weight of the person and the ladder.

FAQ: What Is the Coefficient of Static Friction for a Ladder Leaning Against a Wall?

1. What is static friction of a ladder?

Static friction of a ladder refers to the force that keeps the ladder from slipping or moving when leaned against a surface. It is the friction between the ladder and the surface it is resting on that prevents it from sliding.

2. How is static friction of a ladder calculated?

The static friction of a ladder can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction (μ) with the normal force exerted by the ladder on the surface. The normal force is equal to the weight of the ladder.

3. What factors affect the static friction of a ladder?

Several factors can affect the static friction of a ladder, including the coefficient of static friction, the weight of the ladder, the angle of the ladder against the surface, and the type of surface the ladder is resting on.

4. How does the angle of the ladder affect static friction?

The angle of the ladder can affect the static friction by changing the normal force exerted on the surface. As the angle of the ladder increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a decrease in static friction. This means that the ladder is more likely to slip or move when at a steeper angle.

5. Can the static friction of a ladder be greater than the weight of the ladder?

No, the static friction of a ladder cannot be greater than the weight of the ladder. The coefficient of static friction is a measure of how much friction is needed to prevent an object from moving. If the static friction is greater than the weight of the ladder, the ladder would not be able to stay in place and would start to slide.

Back