What is the complementary equation for this diffeq

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffeq
In summary: Similarly, if r is a triple root of the characteristic polynomial, x2erx is a solution.In summary, when dealing with repeated roots in a 2nd order homogeneous DE, adding a factor of x to one of your linearly independent solutions will give you a second solution. This can be extended to higher order DEs as well.
vande060

Homework Statement

y" + 6y' + 9y = 1+x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r^2 + 6r + 9 = 0

(r +3)^2 = 0

r = -3

I thought the yc = c1e-3x + c2e-3x

buy my prof says yc = c1e-3x + c2xe-3x

why is the x in there?

Physics news on Phys.org
vande060 said:

Homework Statement

y" + 6y' + 9y = 1+x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

r^2 + 6r + 9 = 0

(r +3)^2 = 0

r = -3

I thought the yc = c1e-3x + c2e-3x

buy my prof says yc = c1e-3x + c2xe-3x

why is the x in there?
I agree with your prof. For a 2nd order, homogeneous differential equation, the solution space is two dimensional, which means that the complementary solution is all linear combinations of two linearly independent functions. Your complementary solutions is the same as (c1 + c2)e-3x = Ke-3x.

The characteristic equation for your homogeneous DE is r2 + 6r + 9 = 0, which has repeated roots of r = -3.

The usual trick to get two linearly independent functions when the roots are repeated is to tack a factor of x onto the function. This gives {e-3x, xe-3x} as your set of linearly independent function.

This idea can be extended to higher order DEs. For example, if the DE is y''' + 6y'' + 12y' + 8y = 0, the characteristic equation is r3 + 6r2 + 12r + 8 = 0, and this can be factored to (r + 2)3 = 0. Here the root r = -2 occurs three times.

A set of linearly independent functions is {e-2x, xe-2x, x2e-2x}.

so whenever I have repeated roots I just have to add on the factor of x?

Mark44 said:
Yes.

you saved me again, thanks

And it is easy to see why this works. If you call your differential equation L(y)=0 then, as you know

L(erx)=p(r)erx, which just says when you substitute erx into the DE, you get the characteristic polynomila p(r) times erx.

Look what happens if you differentiate this equation with respect to r (not x!), using the fact that differentiation with respect to r and x commute:

L(xerx)= p'(r)erx+ p(r)xerx

If r is a double root of the characteristic polynomial, both p(r) and p'(r) are zero, giving 0 on the right side. This says xerx is a solution to the DE.

Related to What is the complementary equation for this diffeq

What is the complementary equation for this diffeq?

The complementary equation for a differential equation is a solution that is added to the particular solution to obtain the general solution. It is also known as the homogeneous equation.

How do I find the complementary equation for a diffeq?

To find the complementary equation for a differential equation, you need to set the right-hand side of the equation equal to zero and solve for the unknown function. This will give you the general solution of the complementary equation.

What is the difference between the complementary equation and the particular solution?

The complementary equation is a solution that is added to the particular solution to obtain the general solution of a differential equation. The particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.

Can I have more than one complementary equation for a diffeq?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple complementary equations for a differential equation, as long as they satisfy the same differential equation and initial conditions.

Why is the complementary equation important in solving a diffeq?

The complementary equation is important because it helps us find the general solution of a differential equation, which includes both the complementary and particular solutions. This allows us to find the specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.