What is the Composition Calculation Method for External Direct Products?

• Thread starter williamaholm
  • Start date
In summary: It does not mean that g1 is distributed among the g's. In summary, the conversation is discussing how to perform external direct products, which are defined as the set of all ordered pairs of elements from two groups. The operation for this direct product is defined as (g,h)*(g',h')=(g*g',h*h') where g is from the first group and h is from the second group. The example given is U(8)+U(10) = {(1,1),(1,3),(1,7),(1,9),(3,1),(3,3),(3,7),(3,9),(5,1),(5,3),(5,7),(5,9),(7,1),(7
williamaholm
greetings, I'm confused on how to perform external direct products. I'm not sure how to symbolize this operation so I'll use +.
My text explains it as: G1+G2+...+Gn ={(g1,g2,...gn)}|giEGi}, where (g1,g2,...,gn)(g'1,g'2,...,g'n) is defined as (g1g'1, g2g'2,..., gng'n). It then gives this as an example: U(8)+U(10) = {(1,1),(1,3),(1,7),(1,9),(3,1),(3,3),(3,7),(3,9),(5,1),(5,3),(5,7),(5,9),(7,1),(7,3),(7,7),(7,9)} . Since U(8)={1,3,5,7} and U(10)={1,3,7,9} doesn't this example have the form of (g1g'1, g1g'2, g1g'3, g1g'4, g2g'1, g2g'2, g2g'3... and so forth until we cycled through it all) :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
GxH is the set of all ordered pairs (g,h) where g is in G and h in H. Which is what you've written. And?
It is a group under the operation (g,h)*(g',h')=(g*g',h*h') where we compose elements of G in the obvious way, and elements of H similarly.

I can't decipher what you think is wrong.

still confused

"doesn't this example have the form of (g1g'1, g1g'2, g1g'3, g1g'4, g2g'1, g2g'2, g2g'3..."
g1 is being distributed among all of g' s elements and then g2 gets distributed among all of g' s elements and this continues for all g elements. rather than g1g'1, g2g'2, g3g'3, where each element in g is associated with only one element in g'. Does this help you see where I'm confused?

No. Clearly the list you give with numbers in has more commas and different brackets. The list with g1 etc is a completely different format.

g1 distributed amongst the g's? what g's?

Read the definition of what the elements in the direct product are (ORDERED PAIRS, you have no ordered pairs mentioned in post #3.)

this bit here:
(g1g'1, g2g'2,..., gng'n)

refers to how you calculate the composition of two elements in the direct product.

Related to What is the Composition Calculation Method for External Direct Products?

1. What is an external direct product?

An external direct product is a mathematical concept that combines two or more structures, such as groups, rings, or vector spaces, to form a new structure. It is denoted by the symbol ⊕ and is different from the direct product in that it involves elements from different sets.

2. How is an external direct product different from an internal direct product?

In an internal direct product, the elements involved are from the same set, while in an external direct product, the elements are from different sets. This means that the operations and properties of the two products will differ.

3. What are the properties of an external direct product?

An external direct product has several properties, including closure, associativity, commutativity, and identity element. Additionally, it also has an inverse element for each element in the product.

4. How is an external direct product useful in mathematics?

An external direct product is useful in mathematics as it allows us to combine structures and create new ones. This makes it a powerful tool for studying and understanding different mathematical concepts and systems.

5. What are some examples of external direct products?

Some examples of external direct products include the direct sum of vector spaces, direct product of groups, and the direct product of rings. Additionally, it can also be applied to other algebraic structures such as modules, algebras, and fields.