What is the concentration of bromide present in a 0.659 M. solution of CaBr2

In summary, the mass percentage of arsenic in the pesticide can be calculated by first determining the number of moles of arsenate produced during titration, using the stoichiometry of the reaction. Then, by converting the number of moles of arsenate to moles of arsenic and using the mass of the sample, the mass percentage of arsenic in the pesticide can be calculated. The specific equations needed may vary depending on the specific titration reaction and the amount of information provided.
um0123

Homework Statement

The arsenic in a 1.42 g sample of pesticide was converted to AsO43- by suitable chemical treatment. It was then titrated using Ag+ to form Ag3AsO4 as a precipitate. If it took 33.7 mL of 0.113 M Ag+ to reach the equivalence point in this titration, what is the mass percentage of arsenic in the pesticide?

Homework Equations

im not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need a way to get the ball rolling, this is a questions for my AP Chemistry summer review and i haven't taken chemistry since sophomore year (im going to be a senior when school starts in two days) and i forgot the equations i need to solve this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: What is the concentration of bromide present in a 0.659 M. solution of CaBr2

1. What is the significance of determining the concentration of bromide in a solution?

The concentration of bromide in a solution is important for various reasons. It can help determine the solubility of a compound, the strength of a solution, and its potential toxicity. Additionally, knowing the concentration of bromide can aid in the preparation of chemical reactions and in understanding the behavior of the solution.

2. How is the concentration of bromide measured in a solution?

The concentration of bromide can be measured in a solution through various techniques, such as titration, spectrophotometry, and ion-selective electrodes. These methods involve determining the amount of bromide present in a given volume of solution and expressing it in terms of molarity (moles of bromide per liter of solution).

3. What is the formula for calculating the concentration of bromide in a solution?

The concentration of bromide in a solution is calculated using the formula: Molarity (M) = moles of bromide (mol) / volume of solution (L). In this case, the molarity of a 0.659 M solution of CaBr2 would be the concentration of bromide since there is a 1:2 molar ratio between calcium and bromide in the compound.

4. How does the concentration of bromide affect the properties of a solution?

The concentration of bromide can significantly impact the properties of a solution. It can affect its density, boiling and freezing points, and conductivity. Additionally, the concentration of bromide can also influence the pH of a solution, as bromide ions can act as weak acids or bases depending on the surrounding environment.

5. What factors can affect the concentration of bromide in a solution?

The concentration of bromide in a solution can be affected by several factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. For example, the solubility of CaBr2 (and thus its concentration) can change with temperature, and the addition of other ions can alter the concentration of bromide due to the formation of different compounds in solution.

Back