What is the contact force between the blocks?

In summary, two blocks on a frictionless, horizontal tabletop are experiencing a constant acceleration of 2.45 m/s^2 due to an external force, F, applied to block 1. The question asks for the contact force between the two blocks, which was initially confused with static friction. After clarification, it is understood that there is only one contact force between the blocks.
Marioqwe

Homework Statement

Two blocks are in contact on a frictionless, horizontal tabletop. An external force, F, is applied to block 1, and the two blocks are moving with a constant acceleration a = 2.45 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

what is the contact force between the blocks?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused with the question. I see that the force that block 1 exerts on block 2 is different from the one that block 2 exerts in block 1. Does that mean that I have two different contact forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marioqwe said:
I'm a little confused with the question. I see that the force that block 1 exerts on block 2 is different from the one that block 2 exerts in block 1. Does that mean that I have two different contact forces?

In what way are they different? Can you show your reasoning or better yet, your calculation?

gneill said:
In what way are they different? Can you show your reasoning or better yet, your calculation?

I see my mistake. I was somehow mistaking it with static friction.

Related to What is the contact force between the blocks?

What is the contact force between the blocks?

The contact force between two blocks is the force that exists when the two blocks are in contact with each other. It is the force that prevents the blocks from passing through each other.

How is the contact force calculated?

The contact force between two blocks can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the contact force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

What factors affect the contact force between blocks?

The contact force between blocks can be affected by the weight of the blocks, the surface roughness, and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces. Other factors such as temperature and external forces may also have an impact.

How does the contact force impact the motion of the blocks?

The contact force between blocks can either cause the blocks to move or prevent them from moving, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. If the force is greater than the frictional force, the blocks will move; if the force is less than the frictional force, the blocks will remain stationary.

Is the contact force always equal to the weight of the blocks?

No, the contact force is not always equal to the weight of the blocks. The weight of an object is the force of gravity acting on it, while the contact force is the force between two objects in contact. These two forces can have different magnitudes and directions.

Back