What is the Correct Answer for the Double Integral of exp(y)/y?

In summary, the professor intended to integrate y^2 to y but mistakenly wrote it y^2 to y^1. This caused the integrand to be positive and the incorrect answer to be e-2 instead of 2-e.
hivesaeed4
Suppose the question is:

∫∫exp(y)/y dydx

Now the first integral is w.r.t. y and goes from 0 to 1. The second integral is that of x and goes form y to y^2.

I've evaluated it multiple times and it comes out to be 2-e. ( I first integrate the integrand w.r.t. x then w.r.t. y as the other way I believe its not possible). Anyway for some reason 2-e is not the correct answer. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
hivesaeed4 said:
Suppose the question is:

∫∫exp(y)/y dydx

Now the first integral is w.r.t. y and goes from 0 to 1. The second integral is that of x and goes form y to y^2.

I've evaluated it multiple times and it comes out to be 2-e. ( I first integrate the integrand w.r.t. x then w.r.t. y as the other way I believe its not possible). Anyway for some reason 2-e is not the correct answer. Am I doing something wrong?

[itex]\int_0^1\int_y^{y^2} \frac{e^y}{y}\,dxdy=\int_0^1\frac{e^y}{y}(y^2-y)\,dy=\int_0^1 ye^y\,dy-\int_0^1e^y\,dy=ye^y|_0^1-2\int_0^1 e^y\,dy=2-e[/itex]

I may be wrong, but I think that either whoever/whatever is telling you the result is wrong is wrong, or you're not doing the appropriate exercise. Check this.

DonAntonio

I'm glad my answer was correct. Thanks DonAntonio.

Where did you get the integral? I speculate that you were given a region to integrate over, but you got the bounds wrong.

Notice that 2-e is negative, but your integrand is always positive. This is actually correct for the problem you stated (can you see why?), but it strongly hints at the mistake I'm guessing at.

Hurkyl's point is that y^2 is less than y for y between 0 and 1 so that your integral is from the higher number to the lower. It is more common (though not "mathematically" required) for the lower limit to be less than the upper limit. If you are integrating over a region in the plane then that will be necessary. Reversing the limits of integration will change the sign so you would get e- 2 (a positive number) rather than 2- e, a negative number.

Turns out that while the professor intended it to be y^2 to y (and so the ans would be e-2) he mistakenly wrote it the other way around. Thanks for clearing the confusion.

Related to What is the Correct Answer for the Double Integral of exp(y)/y?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region.

2. How is a double integral of exp(y)/y calculated?

The double integral of exp(y)/y is calculated by first setting up the limits of integration for the two variables, typically denoted as x and y. Then, the function is integrated with respect to one variable while holding the other variable constant, and the result is then integrated again with respect to the other variable.

3. What is the significance of the exp(y)/y function in a double integral?

The exp(y)/y function is often used in double integrals because it is a common function that can represent many real-world phenomena, such as growth or decay. It also has a simple derivative, making it easy to integrate.

4. What are some applications of double integrals of exp(y)/y?

Double integrals of exp(y)/y have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the center of mass of an object, the volume of a solid, or the average value of a function over a region.

5. Are there any techniques for solving double integrals of exp(y)/y?

Yes, there are several techniques for solving double integrals, including using the concept of iterated integrals, changing the order of integration, or using polar coordinates. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique based on the complexity of the function and the region of integration.