What Is the Correct Banked Curve Angle for a Car Traveling at 64 km/hr?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of banked curves to allow a car to travel at a constant speed without relying on friction. The problem involves finding the angle θ of the banked curve given the radius r and speed v of the car. After drawing a free body diagram and using Newton's second law, the equation tanθ = v²/(rg) is derived. However, it is important to convert the units of v to m/s before solving for θ.
Maiia

Homework Statement

A curve of radius r is banked at angle θ so that a car traveling with uniform speed v can
round the curve without relying on friction to keep it from slipping to its left or right.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. If r = 50 m and v = 64 km/hr, what is θ?
Answer in units of ◦.

For this one, I drew a FBD. In my picture, Fny and Fg canceled each out, so the unbalanced force was Fnx. I used N2nd Fnet=ma and used components:
Fnx=max
Fnsintheta=max
Fny= mg
Fncostheta=mg
then i divided them:
Fsintheta max
--------- = --------
Fcostheta mg
The masses canceled out on the right and on the left I had tantheta.
on the right, ax/g= v^2/rg
When I plugged in numbers, I got theta= approx 90 degrees. However, when I submit this answer, it is wrong..could someone help me find out where I messed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to follow your work but it looks like your resultant equation is correct: tan(x) = v^2/rg. Make sure to convert the km/hr to m/s before doing the calculation.

Maiia said:

Homework Statement

A curve of radius r is banked at angle θ so that a car traveling with uniform speed v can
round the curve without relying on friction to keep it from slipping to its left or right.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. If r = 50 m and v = 64 km/hr, what is θ?
Answer in units of ◦.

For this one, I drew a FBD. In my picture, Fny and Fg canceled each out, so the unbalanced force was Fnx. I used N2nd Fnet=ma and used components:
Fnx=max
Fnsintheta=max
Fny= mg
Fncostheta=mg
then i divided them:
Fsintheta max
--------- = --------
Fcostheta mg
The masses canceled out on the right and on the left I had tantheta.
on the right, ax/g= v^2/rg
When I plugged in numbers, I got theta= approx 90 degrees. However, when I submit this answer, it is wrong..could someone help me find out where I messed up?

The force down the bank will be m*g*sinθ and the force from centrifugal acceleration is your m*v²*cosθ/r

That means that you have v²/(r*g) = tanθ

So to find θ that would be the tan-1( v²/(r*g)) = θ

oh that would be the problem, not converting the units >< thanks to both of you for your help! :)

FAQ: What Is the Correct Banked Curve Angle for a Car Traveling at 64 km/hr?

1. What is a banked car without friction?

A banked car without friction refers to a car moving on a curved surface without experiencing any frictional force. This can happen on a banked curve or track, where the slope of the surface allows the car to move without sliding.

2. How does a banked car without friction work?

A banked car without friction works by utilizing the centripetal force to keep the car moving in a circular motion. As the car moves on the banked surface, it experiences a normal force from the surface, which acts as the centripetal force and keeps the car on track.

3. What are the advantages of a banked car without friction?

The main advantage of a banked car without friction is that it allows the car to maintain a constant speed without the need for any external force. This can be useful in situations where maintaining a constant speed is crucial, such as in race tracks or highways.

4. What are the limitations of a banked car without friction?

A banked car without friction can only work on curved surfaces and requires a minimum speed to maintain its motion. If the car moves too slow, it may not have enough centripetal force to stay on the track, and if it moves too fast, it may experience a centrifugal force that can cause it to skid off the track.

5. How is a banked car without friction different from a regular car?

A regular car relies on friction between the tires and the road to maintain its motion and turn. In contrast, a banked car without friction relies on the centripetal force and does not require any friction to stay on track. This allows the car to move at a constant speed without wearing out its tires as quickly as a regular car would.

Back