What Is the Correct Banking Angle for a Road Curve with No Friction?

• Thread starter x86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, to design a curve with a radius of curvature of 350 m for a car to turn at a velocity of 15 m/s without relying on friction, the road must be banked at an angle of approximately 3.75 degrees. This was determined using the equation tanx = v^2 / (gr) where r = radius, g = gravity, and v = velocity. However, the book suggests an answer of around 30 degrees, so it is possible that the radius given in the problem may be incorrect.

Homework Statement

you want to design a curve with a radius of curvature of 350 m, so a car can turn at a velocity of 15 m/s without relying on friction. Find the angle at which the road must be banked.

Homework Equations

I've derived this equation via free body diagram, x component is gravity pushing the car into the curvature

Fn sinx = mv^2/r
Fn cosx = mg

tanx = v^2 / (gr) where r = radius, g = gravity, v = velocity

I've used it before so I know its correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

tanx = 15^2 m^2/s^2 / (9.8 m/s^2 * 350 m)

x = 3.75 degrees.

The book says this answer is incorrect, and I'm not sure where I went wrong. (The book got around 30 degrees)

Physics news on Phys.org
Youe solution is correct, but have you copied the data correctly?

350 m for the radius is a bit too great. Was not it 35 m instead?

ehild

Related to What Is the Correct Banking Angle for a Road Curve with No Friction?

1. How is the radius of a banked road calculated?

The radius of a banked road is calculated using the formula: R = (v^2)/(g*tanθ), where R is the radius, v is the speed of the vehicle, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of banking.

2. What is the purpose of a banked road?

The purpose of a banked road is to provide a safer and more efficient way for vehicles to navigate curves and turns. The banking helps to counteract the centrifugal force that acts on a vehicle when it is turning, allowing it to maintain a stable and controlled path.

3. How does the angle of banking affect the radius of a banked road?

The angle of banking is directly related to the radius of a banked road. As the angle of banking increases, the radius of the road also increases. This means that a higher angle of banking will result in a wider curve or turn on the road.

4. Are there any limitations to using a banked road?

Yes, there are limitations to using a banked road. The speed of the vehicle and the angle of banking must be carefully calculated in order for the road to be effective. If the speed is too high, or the angle of banking is too steep, it can cause the vehicle to lose control and potentially lead to accidents.

5. Can banked roads be used for all types of vehicles?

No, banked roads are not suitable for all types of vehicles. They are primarily designed for cars and other vehicles that travel at higher speeds. Slower moving vehicles, such as bicycles, may not experience the same benefits from a banked road and could have difficulty navigating the curve safely.