What is the correct banking for a 580m radius highway curve?

• Thread starter SherBear
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not that smart and I don't know how to do it on my calc? lolDo you see the abbreviation 'tan'? Do you have an inverse button? Mine has a tan button and an inverse button. Another caluclator of mine has a second function button that makes the tan button tan^-1 which is the inverse. These calculators are all different. Use your instruction book.Geeze, now my calculator wants to work after I got the question wrong, tan-1(.066)=3.8 deg.Thank you for all your help Lawrence! Now I understand it :)
SherBear

Homework Statement

A highway curve of radius 580m is designed for traffic moving at a speed of 70.0 km/hr.

Homework Equations

What is the correcting banking of the road?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using tanθ=v^2/rg
Also I converted the 70 km/hr into m/s by 70 km/hr(1000 m/km/3600 s/h)=19.44 m/s
So I ended up with 19.44m/s^2/580m(9.8m/s^2)=.066°
It's wrong

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the correcting banking of the road?
I mean Correct*---Sorry

Draw a free body diagram of the car on the slope and look at the forces on the wheels. Then redo your force balance and work out completely.

I only see normal up, mg down and Ff i guess opposite of the direction, but it doesn't help me =/

The vehicle is traveling in a circular path while it is on the banking. Does this suggest another force is acting on the vehicle.

If you look at forces on the wheels you have the normal force you mentioned, the mg force which is the weight of the vehicle. Now suppose the car were stopped and the road were covered with ice. What would the car want to do? What tends to balance this due to the motion of the vehicle?

The car would want to slip and some friction force would cause it not to slip?

SherBear said:
The car would want to slip and some friction force would cause it not to slip?

Ok, I was checking your reasoning.

I tried using tanθ=v^2/rg This is correct.

19.44m/s^2/580m(9.8m/s^2)=.066°

I would write this as:
tan(theta) = ((19.44)^2)/(580 * 9.8) = 0.066

What is theta?

LawrenceC said:
Ok, I was checking your reasoning.

I tried using tanθ=v^2/rg This is correct.

19.44m/s^2/580m(9.8m/s^2)=.066°

I would write this as:

What is theta?

No idea? but the answer from masterphysics is 3.80°, how do you get that?

SherBear said:
No idea? but the answer from masterphysics is 3.80°, how do you get that?

You did the hard part of the problem!

Therefore we seek the angle such that the tangent of the angle is 0.066.

theta = arctan(0.066)

That angle is 3.8 degrees. What's the problem?

LawrenceC said:
You did the hard part of the problem!

Therefore we seek the angle such that the tangent of the angle is 0.066.

theta = arctan(0.066)

That angle is 3.8 degrees. What's the problem?

[/I]

I'm not that smart and I don't know how to do it on my calc? lol

Do you see the abbreviation 'tan'? Do you have an inverse button? Mine has a tan button and an inverse button. Another caluclator of mine has a second function button that makes the tan button tan^-1 which is the inverse. These calculators are all different. Use your instruction book.

Geeze, now my calculator wants to work after I got the question wrong, tan-1(.066)=3.8 deg.

Thank you for all your help Lawrence! Now I understand it :)

Related to What is the correct banking for a 580m radius highway curve?

What is the purpose of banking a road?

The purpose of banking a road is to allow vehicles to safely navigate through curves and turns. By tilting the road surface, the centripetal force generated by the vehicle's motion is directed towards the center of the curve, preventing the vehicle from sliding off the road.

What factors determine the amount of banking needed for a road?

The amount of banking needed for a road is determined by the speed limit of the road, the sharpness of the curves, and the type of vehicles that will be using the road. Higher speed limits, sharper curves, and heavier vehicles will require more banking to ensure safe navigation.

How is the banking of a road determined?

The banking of a road is determined using mathematical formulas that take into account the radius of the curve, the speed limit, and the expected weight of vehicles. This calculation results in the angle at which the road should be tilted to provide the necessary centripetal force.

What are the different types of road banking?

The two main types of road banking are superelevation and cant. Superelevation involves tilting the entire road surface, while cant involves tilting only the outer edge of the road. Cant is typically used for roads with lower speeds and sharper curves, while superelevation is used for higher speed roads with more gradual curves.

What are the consequences of incorrect road banking?

If a road is not properly banked, vehicles may have difficulty navigating through curves, increasing the risk of accidents. Improper banking can also cause excessive wear on tires and road surfaces, resulting in increased maintenance costs. In extreme cases, incorrect road banking can lead to vehicles sliding off the road and causing serious accidents.

Back