What Is the Correct Calculation for Net Force on Charge 3 in an Electric Field?

In summary, The net force acting on charge 3, located at x=-1.080m with a charge of 45.5nC, is equal to the sum of the forces exerted by the two other charges. The first charge, q1= -16.0, is located at x1= -1.650m and the second charge, q2= 38.5nC, is at the origin x=0. Using the formula Fnet = (Kq1q3)/D^2 + (Kq2q3)/D^2, where K=8.99*10^9 and E_o=8.854*10^-12, the net force can be calculated
s.bala
i keep getting this question wrong can some1 help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

two point charges located on the x axis: one charge, q1 = -16.0 , is located at x1= -1.650m ; the second charge, q2= 38.5nC , is at the origin x=0. A
3rd charge is at x=-1.080m and its charge is 45.5nC
wat is the netforce of the charges acting on charge3?
(E_o=8.854*10^-12 therefore K=8.99*10^9)

i know net force on 3 would be to the left and all you have to do is use faradays law twice( Force 1 on 3 and Force 2 on 3) and add those up to get the net force. I keep getting -6.64*10^-6 but its wrong.. can some1help please

Fnet= Force 1 on 3+ Force 2 on 3
=(Kq_1q_3)/D^2(fromx1 to x3) + (Kq_2q_3)D^2(from x2 to x3)

and yes i converted nC int C (factor of 1*10^-9 rii?)

Physics news on Phys.org

Show your calculations with substitutions.

FAQ: What Is the Correct Calculation for Net Force on Charge 3 in an Electric Field?

What is the concept of net force in relation to charges?

Net force is the overall force acting on a charge due to the presence of other charges. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the individual forces acting on the charge.

How do you calculate the net force of charges on a specific charge?

To calculate the net force, you need to determine the individual forces acting on the charge using Coulomb's law. Then, you can add or subtract the forces based on their direction and magnitude to get the net force.

What factors affect the net force of charges on a charge?

The net force is affected by the distance between the charges, the magnitude of the charges, and the presence of other charges nearby. The direction of the forces also plays a role in determining the net force.

Can the net force on a charge ever be zero?

Yes, if the individual forces acting on the charge are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, the net force will be zero. This can occur when the charge is in equilibrium, meaning it is not moving or accelerating.

What is the difference between net force and electric field?

Net force is a measure of the overall strength and direction of the forces acting on a charge, while electric field is a measure of the force per unit charge at a given point in space. Net force takes into account the presence of other charges, while electric field only considers the charge creating the field.

Back