What is the Correct Calculation for Pressure on a Dam?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses setting up and calculating a definite integral to find the total pressure on a dam with a trapezoid shape. The correct units, limits of integration, and formula for finding the area of a trapezoid should be used for an accurate result.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Set up and calculate a definite integral giving the total pressure on the dam shown in the figure, which is about the size of the Aswan Dam in Egypt.

The figure is a trapezoid, top 3600m, bottom 3000m, height of 100m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I will make horizontal slices since the pressure of the water in a horizontal slice is constant when the depth of the slice approaches 0.

Next, I want the area of a slice. To do this, I essentially broke it into three shapes. The two outer triangles, and the inner square. These make up the width, while delta y is the height.

The width of the inner square is a constant 3000. The triangles mimic the line x = 6y, and there are two of them, so I define the area of a slice to be:

(3000+12y)Δy

The pressure on a given slice varies with depth. The force on a given slice is the pressure multiplied by area.

1000gy(3000+12y)Δy

Now I add up all slices with integration, over a depth of 100 meters:

[itex]\int^{100}_{0} 9800y(3000+12y)dy[/itex]

For a final answer of 1.862x10^11 Newtons.

This is incorrect. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you.

EDIT: Is it because the direction of increasing pressure and of "larger width" of the slices don't match? Must be it, how to correct? -12y?

Making that change, I get 1.07x10^11 N. I only have one attempt left, look good?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your calculation looks good, but there are a few things you can improve upon. First, make sure you are using the correct units for all of your variables. In this case, the height of the dam is given in meters, so the units for Δy should also be in meters. Secondly, when setting up the integral, make sure you are using the correct limits of integration. In this case, since the depth of the dam is 100m, the upper limit should be 100, not 3600. Finally, when calculating the area of the slice, you should use the formula for the area of a trapezoid, which is 0.5*(base 1 + base 2)*height. This will give you a more accurate result. Keep up the good work!

Related to What is the Correct Calculation for Pressure on a Dam?

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure on a dam?

The formula for calculating pressure on a dam is P = ρgh, where P is pressure (in Pascals), ρ is the density of the fluid (in kilograms per cubic meter), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second squared), and h is the height of the fluid (in meters).

2. How do you determine the density of the fluid in the dam?

The density of the fluid in the dam can be determined by taking a sample of the fluid and using a density measuring tool, such as a hydrometer or a densitometer. Alternatively, the density can be calculated by dividing the mass of the fluid by its volume.

3. Can you calculate pressure on a dam using other units besides Pascals and meters?

Yes, pressure can be calculated using other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) and feet. However, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent and converted appropriately in the calculation.

4. What factors can affect the pressure on a dam?

The pressure on a dam can be affected by factors such as the height and weight of the fluid in the dam, the density of the fluid, the force of gravity, and any external forces acting on the dam (e.g. wind, earthquakes).

5. Why is it important to calculate pressure on a dam?

Calculating pressure on a dam is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the dam. Excessive pressure on a dam can lead to structural failure and potential catastrophic consequences, so it is crucial to monitor and calculate pressure regularly to ensure the dam is functioning within safe limits.