What Is the Correct Calculation for the Conditional Expected Value of an Even X?

That should be the correct formula. So in summary, we have a variable X that takes values 1,...,6 with a density of 0.1, 0.2, 0.1, 0.3, 0.176, 0.124 respectively. We want to find the average price (expected value) of X under the condition that X is even. Using the product and sum rules, we can calculate the probability of X being even and use it to find the expected value of X. The correct formula is P(X=k|X even) = P(X=k) / P(X even), and the final answer is 1.4626.
ParisSpart
we have a variable that takes values 1,...,6 with density:
n 1 2 3 4 5 6
f(n) 0.1 0.2 0.1 0.3 0,176 0,124

What is the average price (expected value) of X under the condition that X is even?

E(X/X=even)=k*P(X=k/X=even)=0.2*2+4*0.3+0.124*6
i am doing this but its says its not correct what i am doing wrong in the type?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the product rule:

P(X=k|X even) = P(X=k) P(X even)

P(X even) here is 1/2? or 1/3?

P(X even) = P(X=2 or X=4 or X=6)

Use the sum rule for mutually exclusive events:

P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) if A and B are mutually exclusive.

P(X=2)=0.2? from the table?

Yes...

but its says that its not correct my answer... i find this 1.462656 in the final answer

What did you calculate then?

first i found this P(X=2 OR X=4 OR X=6)=0.624
AND E(X/X=even)=k*P(X=k/X=even)=0.2*2*0.624+0.624*4*0.3+0.124*6*0.624...=1.4626

Oops. My mistake.
The rule is: P(X=k|X even) = P(X=k) / P(X even)

k*(P(X=k)/P(X even)) like this?

Yes.

Related to What Is the Correct Calculation for the Conditional Expected Value of an Even X?

What is conditional expected value?

Conditional expected value is a statistical measure that calculates the average outcome of a random variable based on a given condition or set of conditions. It is denoted as E(X|Y), where X represents the random variable and Y represents the condition.

How is conditional expected value calculated?

The conditional expected value is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome of the random variable by its respective probability, given the condition. These products are then summed together to get the final value.

What is the difference between conditional expected value and unconditional expected value?

The unconditional expected value is calculated without any conditions, while the conditional expected value is calculated based on a given condition. In other words, the unconditional expected value takes into account all possible outcomes, while the conditional expected value only considers outcomes that satisfy the given condition.

What is the significance of conditional expected value?

Conditional expected value is a useful tool in analyzing and predicting outcomes in situations where certain conditions must be met. It allows for a more accurate understanding of the expected outcome by taking into account the given condition.

Can conditional expected value be negative?

Yes, conditional expected value can be negative if the outcomes of the random variable have a negative value and the probability of these outcomes is high given the condition. However, it is also possible for the conditional expected value to be positive or zero, depending on the values and probabilities of the outcomes.