What is the correct charge conservation at a vertex in a decay process?

In summary, the conservation of charge at a vertex means that the charges of particles pointing in and out must be equal. This can also be expressed as the sum of charges at a vertex being zero. The attached diagram shows a decay process where a W^- particle is expected, but it should actually be a W^+ to conserve charge. The arrows on the fermion lines indicate fermion number flow, not charge flow. However, when there is a vertical line, there are two ways to interpret the flow. The top left vertex in the diagram shows +1/3 and +2/3 flowing in, but -2/3 and +1 flowing out. The muons in the diagram should be labeled as anti-muons to
barnflakes
Is my understanding correct:

Charge is conserved at a vertex. So the charges of particles pointing in towards a vertex and the charges of particles pointing out must be equal. Alternatively: The sum of the charges at a vertex must be zero.

So if this is correct, can someone explain the attached diagram to me?

This is for the decay process:

[tex]\pi^- -> \mu^- + \overline{\nu_{\mu}}[/tex]

To me, it should be a W^+ particle rather than W^-, since the charge at the first vertex is d = -1/3, anti-u = -2/3, and therefore if it's a W^- then the charge will be -2 rather than zero. If we put a W+ that solves the problem. Similarly on the other side, we have -1 from the muon and zero from the anti-muon-neutrino so we need a +1 from a W+ to conserve charge at the vertex.

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 585
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget to mention we use the x-axis as time and the y-axis as space.

If time goes to the right, think about it as charge flow. Whatever goes in must go out. If -1 goes in -1 goes out and so on. There is no "AT" the vertex.

In that diagram, -1/3 goes in but -2/3 + (-1) goes out. Something is fishy there? Essentially this "flow change" you talk of means exactly that total charge should equal zero at a vertex, no? Otherwise it is implying charge is created..

anti U + D gives -1 as charge

that charge is entering the vertex

what is leaving the vertex is a W, with charge -1

thus charge is conserved at the vertex.

The arrows on the solid fermion lines does NOT mean charge flow, but fermion number flow!

ansgar said:
anti U + D gives -1 as charge

that charge is entering the vertex

what is leaving the vertex is a W, with charge -1

thus charge is conserved at the vertex.

The arrows on the solid fermion lines does NOT mean charge flow, but fermion number flow!

If the arrows don't indicate charge flow, then how do you decide what charge is "entering" the vertex and what is "leaving" the vertex? Purely from the left-right nature of the time axis?

OK I think I'm getting now, except how do I treat a particle at a vertex that is pointing vertically upwards ie.stationary in time?

Example attached, can someone describe what the charges at each vertex would be for me here, using this flow analogy, because I don't see it, for instance in the bottom right vertex, it looks like charge -1/3 is flowing in, and a charge of 2/3 for the u particle, but then -1 via the W- flowing out?

Attachments

• Untitled2.gif
    Untitled2.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
(you forgot bar on S)

look at the lower left vertex the total charge is -1/3 from the d-quarks and -(+2/3) from the u quark since the arrow is reversed, he W then carries -1 charge

i.e. -1/3 + -2/3 = -1

another way to look at it is that the d-quark is going to an up quark and a W boson

i.e. -1/3 = 2/3 + -1 so when you have a vertical line, there are two ways to look at it.

You just said that the arrows don't indicate charge direction! What you have just written is in contradiction there? So if an arrow points away from a vertex, it indicates that it's an anti-particle with respect to that vertex? If it is going towards it, it's a particle? When it is a vertical line I mean?

barnflakes said:
You just said that the arrows don't indicate charge direction! What you have just written is in contradiction there? So if an arrow points away from a vertex, it indicates that it's an anti-particle with respect to that vertex? If it is going towards it, it's a particle? When it is a vertical line I mean?

well they do that SINCE the arrows indicate fermion number flow, I should have pointed that out ;)

OK, now the top left vertex, +1/3 and +2/3 flowing in, but -1 flowing out? How does that work?

barnflakes said:
OK, now the top left vertex, +1/3 and +2/3 flowing in, but -1 flowing out? How does that work?

no in comes +1/3 and out goes -2/3 (the u) and +1 (W+ .. why did you think that it should be a W-?)

*sigh*

Because otherwise in the top right vertex you have +1 going in and -1 going out?

barnflakes said:
Because otherwise in the top right vertex you have +1 going in and -1 going out?

that muon is +. the muon in the lower right is -

In the diagram the muons are unlabeled. The top one MUST have positive charge, from the diagram. Therefor it is an ANTI muon, and so the arrow should be the other way. Same goes for the lower.

The diagram is wrong by 99% of people's conventions that a PARTICLE MUON has NEGATIVE charge.

Hepth said:
In the diagram the muons are unlabeled. The top one MUST have positive charge, from the diagram. Therefor it is an ANTI muon, and so the arrow should be the other way. Same goes for the lower.

The diagram is wrong by 99% of people's conventions that a PARTICLE MUON has NEGATIVE charge.

that was going to be my second comment ;)

OK thank you guys, ansgar sorry for not getting it as quick as you like, I'm new to particle physics and when the diagrams are labelled wrongly it doesn't help understanding. Now it makes sense to me though, thank you :)

barnflakes said:
OK thank you guys, ansgar sorry for not getting it as quick as you like, I'm new to particle physics and when the diagrams are labelled wrongly it doesn't help understanding. Now it makes sense to me though, thank you :)

I was also new once and thought that this was difficult! Now Iam doing my PhD in theoretical elementary particle physics :)

good luck and please do not hesitate to ask questions here

Related to What is the correct charge conservation at a vertex in a decay process?

What are conservation laws at a vertex?

Conservation laws at a vertex refer to the principles of physics that state that certain quantities, such as energy, momentum, and charge, are conserved in a given system. These laws hold true at the point where particles interact, also known as a vertex.

What are the conservation laws at a vertex in particle physics?

In particle physics, the main conservation laws at a vertex are conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, and conservation of electric charge. These laws help to explain and predict the behavior of particles during interactions.

How do conservation laws at a vertex impact particle interactions?

Conservation laws at a vertex play a crucial role in determining the outcome of particle interactions. They ensure that the total energy, momentum, and charge of the system remains the same before and after the interaction takes place.

Do conservation laws at a vertex always hold true?

Yes, conservation laws at a vertex are fundamental principles in physics and have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. They are considered to be universal laws and hold true in all interactions involving particles.

Why are conservation laws at a vertex important in scientific research?

Conservation laws at a vertex provide a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in various interactions. They also help to explain the fundamental forces of nature and are essential in the development of theories and models in particle physics.