What is the Correct Domain of Integration for a Double Integral Problem?

In summary, The conversation discusses a question regarding a math problem that involves finding the area bounded by three functions. The first part involves plotting the domain of integration and determining the boundaries. The second part involves integrating with a polynomial as the upper bound, which may be a typo and could potentially be meant to be a function of y instead. The conversation concludes with some uncertainty and hope for clarification.
synergix

Homework Statement

question 2:
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~haber/courses/math253/Welcome_files/asgn5.pdf"

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part a) I tried to plot my domain of integration and ended up concluding it was an area bounded by y=0, y=4-x^2, and x=1. Is this okay?

In not too sure about part b) I'm just going off the graph here and so if that's wrong this will be wrong. Here is what i did I changed x domain from 1->(4-x^2) to 1->2 and I changed y domain from 0->3 to 0->4-x^2.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
how could we integrate when the upper bound of the first integral is a polynomial x=4-x^2? Maybe I am misunderstanding something. Would it not have to be either a constant or a function of y?

The upper limit on the inner integral is surely a typo and probably is supposed to be x = 4 - y2.

I sure hope so. Thank you.

Related to What is the Correct Domain of Integration for a Double Integral Problem?

What is a double integral problem?

A double integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a 3-dimensional surface on a 2-dimensional plane. It is essentially the combination of two single integrals, and is often used in calculus and physics to calculate volume, mass, and other properties of 3-dimensional objects.

How do you solve a double integral problem?

To solve a double integral problem, you first need to set up the integral by identifying the limits of integration and the integrand (the function being integrated). Then, you can use various techniques such as iterated integration, change of variables, or polar coordinates to evaluate the integral and find the solution.

What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include calculating the center of mass of an object, determining the volume of a solid, finding the average value of a function, and solving problems involving probability and statistics.

What are the limitations of using double integrals?

Although double integrals are a powerful tool for solving many mathematical problems, they do have some limitations. For example, they can only be used for continuous functions, and the limits of integration must be well-defined. Additionally, they can be time-consuming and complex to solve for certain functions and domains.

How can I practice and improve my skills in solving double integral problems?

One of the best ways to practice and improve your skills in solving double integral problems is by working through various practice problems and examples. You can also use online resources such as tutorial videos, interactive calculators, and online courses to deepen your understanding of the concept and learn different techniques for solving double integrals.

Back