What is the correct position of u on an Argand diagram?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of k given that a complex number, u, is a root of an equation. It also explores finding the other complex root, the modulus and argument of u, and sketching an Argand diagram. The conversation ends with a request for help and clarification.
ishterz
Hello.I have done all the parts and just have problems with the last one. I've pasted the whole question though to include all the details which may be needed

Homework Statement

The complex number −2 + i is denoted by u.
(i) Given that u is a root of the equation x3 − 11x − k = 0, where k is real, find the value of k. [3]
(ii) Write down the other complex root of this equation. [1]
(iii) Find the modulus and argument of u. [2]
(iv) Sketch an Argand diagram showing the point representing u. Shade the region whose points
represent the complex numbers ß satisfying both the inequalities
|ß| < |ß − 2| and 0 < arg(ß − u) < pi/4 (45 degrees)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got k = 20
b) -2-i
(iii) 5^1/2 (cos153.4 + isin153.4)

(iv) I solved it by doing:

x^2 +y^2 = x^2 +y^2 -4x + 2y +5
y= 2x - 5/2

I don't know if I'm right because the mark scheme says :
iv) Show point representing u in relatively correct position in an Argand diagram B1
Show vertical line through z = 1 B1
Show the correct half-lines from u of gradient zero and 1 B1
Shade the relevant region

??

PLease help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hello ishterz! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
ishterz said:
|ß| < |ß − 2| and 0 < arg(ß − u) < pi/4 (45 degrees)

x^2 +y^2 = x^2 +y^2 -4x + 2y +5

erm :redface:

you've used |ß - 2 - i| instead of |ß| :wink:

(btw, there is a simpler method, just using elementary geometry)

Related to What is the correct position of u on an Argand diagram?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part. They are represented in the form a + bi, where 'a' is the real part and 'bi' is the imaginary part, with 'i' being the square root of -1.

2. How are complex numbers represented graphically?

Complex numbers are represented on an Argand diagram, which is a two-dimensional graph where the real part is plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part is plotted on the vertical axis. The point where these two axes intersect is called the origin.

3. What is the relationship between complex numbers and the Argand diagram?

The Argand diagram provides a visual representation of complex numbers, with each point on the diagram corresponding to a unique complex number. The distance of a point from the origin represents the magnitude or modulus of the complex number, and the angle it forms with the positive real axis represents the argument or phase of the complex number.

4. How do operations on complex numbers translate to the Argand diagram?

The addition and subtraction of complex numbers can be visualized on the Argand diagram as vector addition and subtraction, where the new complex number is the endpoint of the resulting vector. Multiplication and division of complex numbers can be visualized as scaling and rotation of the original complex number on the Argand diagram.

5. What are some applications of complex numbers and Argand diagrams?

Complex numbers and Argand diagrams have many applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to model and analyze alternating currents in electrical circuits, describe the motion of a particle in a magnetic field, and solve mathematical equations that cannot be solved using real numbers alone.