What is the Correct Speed of the Heavier Fragment in a Weather Rocket Explosion?

In summary, a 1500 kg weather rocket accelerates upward at 10 m/s^2 and explodes 2.0 s after liftoff. The explosion results in two fragments, one twice as massive as the other. The lighter fragment reaches a maximum height of 530 m while traveling straight up. The question is the speed of the heavier fragment just after the explosion. The answer provided is 20.96 m/s, but there is an error due to rounding or incorrect significant figures. The problem is then solved using the initial velocity and momentum equations, resulting in a final answer of 21.0 m/s.
physicsCU
Not sure of the number, but it is about a weather rocket that explodes.

A 1500 kg weather rocket accelerates upward at 10\;{\rm m}/{\rm s}^{2} . It explodes 2.0 s after liftoff and breaks into two fragments, one twice as massive as the other. Photos reveal that the lighter fragment traveled straight up and reached a maximum height of 530 m.

That is the problem.

What was the speed of the heavier fragment just after the explosion?

That is the question.

I solved and got 20.96 m/s. It gives me this error:

You are close. You may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures.

Help! What is the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did u get that #...?How many sign.digits are u required to use...?

Daniel.

Using the 10m/s^2 * 2s, i got the v_i to be 20 m/s, p_i then is 30000 kg*m/s.

p_f is 1000*v_f_1 + 500*v_f_2

Used v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2*a*s on the smaller mass fragment. Used v_f = 0, a = -9.8, s given in problem. Solved for v_i. This v_i is the inital velocity of the fragment, aka its velocity at the end of the explosion.

Set 30000 = 1000*v_f_1 + 500*v_f_2, using v_f_2 from dynamics equation work above. solved for v_f_1.

EDIT: The system is evaluating my answer as 21.0, so i think my sig figs are right. Unless the server is broken, which could be the case.

Anyone have any ideas?

FAQ: What is the Correct Speed of the Heavier Fragment in a Weather Rocket Explosion?

1. What is Mastering Physics 9.42?

Mastering Physics 9.42 is an online platform designed to help students learn and practice physics concepts. It offers interactive tutorials, homework assignments, and assessments to help students master their understanding of physics.

2. How does Mastering Physics 9.42 work?

Mastering Physics 9.42 uses a combination of interactive activities, practice problems, and assessments to help students learn and reinforce their understanding of physics concepts. It also provides immediate feedback and hints to guide students through difficult problems.

3. Is Mastering Physics 9.42 suitable for all levels of physics?

Mastering Physics 9.42 offers content for a wide range of physics courses, from introductory to advanced levels. It is designed to cater to the needs of students at different levels of proficiency in physics.

4. Can Mastering Physics 9.42 be used as a standalone resource?

Mastering Physics 9.42 is designed to supplement traditional classroom instruction and not replace it. However, it can be used as a standalone resource for self-study and practice. It is also a useful tool for teachers to assign homework and track student progress.

5. How can I access Mastering Physics 9.42?

Mastering Physics 9.42 can be accessed through a web browser on any device with internet access. Students can purchase access codes from their campus bookstore or directly from the Mastering Physics website. Teachers can also create an instructor account to access additional features for managing their classes.

Back