What is the correct way to calculate the speed of the Great Red Spot on Jupiter?

• B
  • Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with finding the speed of the grs moving across Jupiter. They have calculated the speed to be 15 m/s but are unsure if it is correct and want to check their work. They are then advised to repost their question in a specific forum and provide their work for review.
nmsurobert
Hi.
I am having trouble finding the speed at which the grs moving across jupiter. I have a problem that is asking me to calculate the speed but my number seems wrong. I've calculated about 15 m/s but i don't believe that is correct. i just want to check my answer.

thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:
Hi.
I am having trouble finding the speed at which the grs moving across jupiter. I have a problem that is asking me to calculate the speed but my number seems wrong. I've calculated about 15 m/s but i don't believe that is correct. i just want to check my answer.

thanks.
We don't check answers, we check work. Show your work.

Likes berkeman and gneill
phinds said:
We don't check answers, we check work. Show your work.
Yes, @nmsurobert -- Please re-post in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum, and fill out the Template that you are provided showing your work. Thank you.

This schoolwork thread in the technical forums is closed now.

FAQ: What is the correct way to calculate the speed of the Great Red Spot on Jupiter?

What is the Great Red Spot forward speed?

The Great Red Spot forward speed refers to the rate at which the massive storm on Jupiter moves in a westward direction. This speed can vary, but it is typically around 400 miles per hour.

How is the Great Red Spot forward speed measured?

The Great Red Spot forward speed is measured by tracking the movement of the storm using telescopes and spacecraft. Scientists use a system of longitude lines to measure how far the storm moves in a certain amount of time.

Has the Great Red Spot forward speed changed over time?

Yes, the Great Red Spot forward speed has been observed to change over time. In recent years, it has been slowing down, with some studies suggesting it has decreased by about 14 miles per hour per decade.

What factors influence the Great Red Spot forward speed?

The Great Red Spot forward speed is influenced by a number of factors, including atmospheric conditions, jet streams, and interactions with other storms on Jupiter. The planet's rotation also plays a role in the speed of the storm.

Is the Great Red Spot forward speed important for studying Jupiter?

Yes, the Great Red Spot forward speed is an important aspect of studying Jupiter's atmosphere and weather patterns. By tracking its movement, scientists can better understand the dynamics of the planet and how it differs from Earth's weather systems.