What Is the Cost of Energy Loss in a Low Voltage Power Supply System?

• Thread starter alwaysdazed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: I^2*R*hr or does that mean that i need to find I^2*R*minutes???To find the cost per hour per meter, you need R/L and P/L. To find the cost per minute per meter, you need R*hr and P*minutes.
alwaysdazed

Homework Statement

A small city requires about 19 MW of power. Suppose that instead of using high-voltage lines to supply the power, the power is delivered at 120 V .

Assuming a two-wire line of 0.60cm -diameter copper wire, estimate the cost of the energy lost to heat per hour per meter. Assume the cost of electricity is about 8.5 cents/kWh.
Cost = $ per hour per meter

Homework Equations

P=IV
P=I^2*R
R=(rhoe*L)/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I used P=IV to find the current (converting 19 MW to 19*10^3 to keep it in kW for the answer) and found I=158 A .. then when I go to find the resistance I figure to use pi*r^2 as area than multiply the whole thing by two for the two wires but I do not understand what to use for L because they provide no length after i find R i intend to plug it into the equation P=I^2*R .. i am so lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since they want cost per meter, you really just need R/L and P/L.

p.s. welcome to PF.

thanks but i do not understand what you are saying sorry :(

Okay, let's back up a little.

From your 1st post, you said you tried to calculate R, but need L in order to do that. What equation for R are you using, that has an L in it?

ohhh yeah that's what my problem is i am not given L .. i am trying to use R=(rho(resistivity)*L)/A

L being the length of the wire and A being the cross sectional area of the wire

Okay.

Since you need to calculate power and cost per meter, use L=1m.

okay so then i use l=1 to find the resistance and i take the current that i found usuing p=iv and plug both into P=I^2R .. once i find that P how do i incorporate finding time?

Related to What Is the Cost of Energy Loss in a Low Voltage Power Supply System?

1. What factors are considered when estimating the cost due to power?

When estimating the cost due to power, factors such as energy consumption, electricity rates, and equipment efficiency are considered. Other factors may include the size of the building or facility, the type of power source used, and any potential energy-saving measures that may be implemented.

2. How accurate are cost estimates for power consumption?

The accuracy of cost estimates for power consumption depends on the availability and accuracy of data used in the estimation process. Factors such as changes in energy prices and unexpected fluctuations in energy usage can also affect the accuracy of cost estimates.

3. How can one reduce the cost of power consumption?

There are several ways to reduce the cost of power consumption, including implementing energy-efficient practices, using renewable energy sources, and regularly monitoring and optimizing energy usage. Conducting energy audits and investing in energy-efficient equipment can also help reduce power costs.

4. Can cost estimates for power consumption be used to predict future expenses?

While cost estimates for power consumption can provide an idea of current and potential future expenses, they should not be solely relied upon to predict exact costs. External factors such as changes in energy prices and unexpected changes in energy usage can impact the actual cost of power in the future.

5. How often should cost estimates for power consumption be updated?

The frequency of updating cost estimates for power consumption may vary depending on the specific situation and changes in energy usage. Generally, it is recommended to review and update cost estimates at least once a year or when there are significant changes in energy usage or energy prices.