What Is the Definition of Exchange Energy in Quantum Chemistry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of exchange energy in atomic physics and quantum chemistry. While there is no clear definition of this term on its own, within the Hartree-Fock and Kohn-Sham theories, it refers to the energy contributions from the exchange part of the Fock operator or exchange functional. However, it is also noted that in general, exchange and correlation are difficult to separate and require specific combinations to cancel out errors. The popular B88 paper is mentioned as an example of this.
timntimn
Dear Forum members!

I'm wondering, what is an exact definition of the exchange energy in atomic physics and/or quantum chemistry ?

For the best of my knowledge, the case is quite simple for correlation energy, namely
[itex]E_{corr} = E_{exact} - E_{HF}[/itex], where [itex]E_{exact}[/itex] is the exact solution of the Schrodinger equation and
[itex]E_{HF}=\left(\Psi_{HF},\hat{H}\Psi_{HF}\right)[/itex] is the Hamiltonian expectation value for the (approximate) complete basis set Hartree-Fock wavefunction. In other words, [itex]E_{corr}[/itex] is "everything beyond HF approximation" (in non-relativistic case of course).

I believe that there is some similar definition for also exchange energy ([itex]E_x[/itex]). But what is it?
It is clear that [itex]E_x[/itex] originates from the Pauli exclusion principle, i.e., the wavefunction symmetry.
So, am I right that one can define [itex]E_x[/itex] as something like
[itex]E_x = E_{HF} - E_H[/itex] where
[itex]E_H[/itex] is the variational Schrodinger equation solution with a Hartree product trial wavefunction instead of Slatter-determinant Hartree-Fock one?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

P.S.
I've found a https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-178573.html" on this Forum with
the definition being [itex]E_{exchange} = E_{Hartree-Fock} -E_{Coulomb}[/itex], but it is not clear
for me, what is [itex]E_{Coulomb}[/itex] here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, the term "exchange energy" is not uniquely defined on its own. What this means is that this is not a property of a given wave function and Hamiltonian. However, within the Hartree-Fock and Kohn-Sham theories clear meanings can be assigned, namely, the energy contributions to the total energy (within that approximation) due to the exchange part of the Fock operator (HF) or due to the exchange functional (KS).

cgk said:
In general, the term "exchange energy" is not uniquely defined on its own. ... However, within the Hartree-Fock and Kohn-Sham theories clear meanings can be assigned, namely, the energy contributions to the total energy (within that approximation) due to the exchange part of the Fock operator (HF) or due to the exchange functional (KS).
Thanks for your reply!
Isn't it a somewhat puzzling way to define exchange 'part' of the energy via the value of the exchange DFT functional ?
Moreover, it seems to me that your answer implies that so many fundamentally important papers aimed at the development
of purely exchange functionals in the framework of DFT (e.g., classical Becke's 1988 paper is cited over 19 000 times nowadays (!)) deal with the physical quantity, which is 'not uniquely defined' actually :eek:
This sounds really surprising... :confused:

Last edited:
Well, in DFT there is a clear meaning, because it is a mean-field theory[1]. What I'm saying is that if you have a general, non-determinant wave function, I'm not aware of any commonly accepted definition of its "exchange energy".

I don't remember the details of the B88 paper, and I can't access it now to look it up. But it is mainly cited that many times, because B88 is a part of the BLYP and B3LYP functionals. I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of the people citing it have never even considered reading it :).

[1] But even in DFT exchange and correlation are very hard to separate. This is why there are certain popular combinations of exchange and correlation functional: they need to be combined in certain ways to cancel each other's errors. For example, if you take a DFT correlation functional (without its exchange functional) and calculate its correlation energy by plugging in some HF, MCSCF, or CCSD density, you generally get trash. And if you combine random exchange with random correlation functionals, you also often get funny numbers.

Related to What Is the Definition of Exchange Energy in Quantum Chemistry?

1. What is "A definition exchange energy"?

"A definition exchange energy" is a term used in physics to describe the change in energy that occurs when two or more particles exchange positions or properties. It is commonly seen in quantum mechanics and is a key concept in understanding the behavior of particles in a system.

2. How is exchange energy different from other forms of energy?

Exchange energy is unique in that it is not a physical energy that can be measured or observed, but rather a mathematical concept used to explain the interactions between particles. It is not a source of energy like heat or electricity, but rather a way to describe the changes in a system as particles move and interact with each other.

3. What factors affect the exchange energy in a system?

The exchange energy in a system is affected by the number of particles present, their positions and properties, and the strength of their interactions. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and magnetic fields.

4. How is exchange energy related to entropy?

Exchange energy is closely related to entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. As particles exchange positions or properties, the system becomes more disordered, leading to an increase in entropy. This relationship is described by the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

5. What are some real-world applications of exchange energy?

Exchange energy has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of materials science and chemistry. It is used to explain the behavior of atoms and molecules in a wide range of systems, from metals to biological systems. It is also a crucial concept in the development of technologies such as computer memory and magnetic storage devices.

Back