What is the Density of Conduction Electrons in Monovalent Copper?

In summary, the problem involves finding the density of conduction electrons and the Fermi energy in electron volts for monovalent copper. Using the formula n=DNA/m, the density of conduction electrons is found to be 8.4375x1028 m-3. The Fermi energy can be calculated using the formula f(E) = 1/(e(E-EF)/KT+1).
teme92

Homework Statement

Monovalent copper (one conduction electron per atom) has a density of 9000 kg m-3 and atomic mass of 64 amu (ie. 1 kmole = 64kg). Find:

a)The density of conduction electrons per unit volume

b)the Fermi energy in electron volts

Homework Equations

f(E) = 1/(e(E-EF)/KT+1)

ρ=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is the first problem I've done on Fermi-Dirac so I'm a bit stuck here.

So I got the volume from V=m/ρ, so:

V=64/9000=.007m3

Is this even relevant to the question? Really lost and any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have to use the formula n=DNA/m

where:

NA=Avogadros No. = 6.02x1023 mol-1
D=Density=9000 kg m-3=9000000 g m-3
m=64 amu= g mol-1

I used the formula to get n=(9000000)(6.02x1023)/64=8.4375x1028 m-3

Is this the answer for part a)?

Related to What is the Density of Conduction Electrons in Monovalent Copper?

1. What is the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is a mathematical function used to describe the distribution of electrons in a system at thermal equilibrium. It takes into account the exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers.

2. How does the Fermi-Dirac distribution relate to the density of electrons?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution provides a way to calculate the probability of finding an electron in a particular quantum state at a given energy level. This probability is directly related to the density of electrons in the system.

3. What is the difference between the Fermi-Dirac distribution and the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution takes into account the exclusion principle, while the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution does not. This means that the Fermi-Dirac distribution is more accurate for describing systems with many identical particles, such as electrons in a metal, while the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is better for systems with non-identical particles, such as gases.

4. How is the Fermi-Dirac distribution affected by temperature?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is a function of temperature, with higher temperatures leading to a broader distribution of electron energies. As the temperature increases, more electrons are able to occupy higher energy states, resulting in a decrease in the density of electrons at lower energy states.

5. How is the Fermi energy related to the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi energy is the energy level at which the Fermi-Dirac distribution equals 0.5. It represents the highest energy level that electrons can occupy at absolute zero temperature. As the temperature increases, the Fermi energy also increases, leading to a broader distribution of electron energies and a decrease in the density of electrons at lower energy states.