What is the density of the life preserver?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the density of a life preserver that can support an 80kg person with a specific gravity of .92 in seawater with a specific gravity of 1.03. The person is 20% above water volume-wise and the preserver is fully submerged. The participants discuss using weight densities and various formulas to find the mass and density of the preserver. The conversation ends with one participant, Daniel, asking for feedback on their work and posting their calculations.
AoshiShinomori
This one got me.
Any help?
Regardless of if its being homework, respond if you can.

A life preserver with a volume of .05m^3 will support a 80kg person with a specific gravity of .92, in seawater, specific gravity of 1.03, the person is 20% above water(volume-wise) and the preserver is fully submerged, find the density of the life preserver.

Okay, well so far, I took all of the specific gravities and changed them to weight densities. Therefore, I had seawater as 10094 N/m^3 (not working in lb/ft^3), the human as 9016, and of course, pure water is9800. I took the 9800 and multiplied through all the specifics to get there weight densities. Some formulae I've pulled together include:

9800*specific gravity=weight density
Pressure=weighdensity*height (irrelevant)
Force Buoyancy=Force Weight - Force Apparent (where Fb is weight of fluid displaced, naturally)
Specific gravity*1000=density of certain solution
Density=mass/volume(...)
Force Buoyancy=(Volume of object)(weight density of fluid)

Anyways, given the volume, we need to find the mass of the preserver. Since the preserver is just submerged, the 80kg person, plus the mass of the raft caused the force weight to equal the force buoyancy (may be off).

Using the latter of the equations, I took the weight density of the seawater, which was 9800*1.03 and multiplied that by the volume of the buoyant preserver, which, I used to equal force weight plus the mass of the raft(which I'm guessing is force b...it should be anyway). Solved for Mass...and plugged into mass/volume=density. Is that right? Let's just say that was the bonus, and he didn't put a correct answer down...

In numerical format...(9800)(1.03)(.05)=(80*9.8 +/-(?) x(mass of raft)*9.8)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cute problem,any ideas...??

Daniel.

PS.Post your work.

I went ahead and edited the original with all my work. I wouldn't have posted, but I didn't want anyone to think I hadn't done the work.

Related to What is the density of the life preserver?

What is specific gravity in fluids?

Specific gravity in fluids is a measure of the density of a substance compared to the density of water. It is a dimensionless quantity and is commonly used in the fields of chemistry and fluid mechanics to describe the properties of different fluids.

How is specific gravity measured?

Specific gravity is typically measured by comparing the weight of a given volume of a substance to the weight of an equal volume of water. This can be done using a hydrometer, which is a device that measures the density of a liquid by how much it displaces.

What is the significance of specific gravity in fluids?

Specific gravity is important because it can provide information about the chemical composition of a substance, as well as its physical properties. It can also help with determining the buoyancy and flow characteristics of different fluids.

How does temperature affect specific gravity in fluids?

In general, as the temperature of a fluid increases, its specific gravity decreases. This is because the volume of the fluid expands with increasing temperature, while its mass remains constant. Therefore, the density (and specific gravity) of the fluid decreases.

What are some real-world applications of specific gravity in fluids?

Specific gravity is used in a wide range of industries and applications. For example, it is crucial in the brewing and wine-making industries to accurately measure the concentration of alcohol in a solution. It is also used in the oil and gas industry to determine the density of different types of crude oil. Additionally, specific gravity plays a role in the design of ships and other marine vessels to ensure they are able to float and maintain stability in water.