What is the derivation of this equation: d = t sin θ [ 1 - (n cosθ / n' cosθ)]

In summary, the conversation is about deriving a formula for measuring the refractive index of liquids using a laser and diffraction grating. The formula is d = t sin θ [ 1 - (n cosθ / n' cosθ)] and it involves the thickness of the container, angles of incidence and refraction, and refractive indices of air and medium 2. The source does not provide information on how the formula was derived, so more information is needed to understand its origins.
Rosella Lin
Hi,

Could someone please tell me how to derive this formula by using Wave Phenomenon

d = t sin θ [ 1 - (n cosθ / n' cosθ)]
I think some of it is derived using Brewster's Principle and the Refractive Index but I cannot tell how?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to tell us more. What is this formula for, what is the physical significance of the variables it used, where did you come across, and what does that source say about the derivation?

Right! so I am trying to find the Refractive Index of liquids using a laser and diffraction grating.

So under by using this formula and deriving it further from here we can measure the RI.

upload_2016-9-25_23-47-42.png

Here is the image for that. This it where it comes from.

t = thickness of container (constant)
cos θ = angle of incidence and cos θ' = angle of refraction

n = RI of air and n' = R I of medium 2

There is nothing of how to derive it from the source but I have to understand how this came. If we further carry on this equation we end up here :

upload_2016-9-25_23-49-55.png

Thanks !

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-25_23-47-18.png
    upload_2016-9-25_23-47-18.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 562

FAQ: What is the derivation of this equation: d = t sin θ [ 1 - (n cosθ / n' cosθ)]

1. What does the equation represent?

The equation d = t sin θ [1 - (n cosθ / n' cosθ)] represents the derivation of the distance between two points, where d is the distance, t is the time, θ is the angle between the two points, and n and n' are the refractive indices of the medium between the points.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived using the principles of geometry and Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sines of the angles of incidence and refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media.

3. What do the variables in the equation represent?

The variable d represents the distance between the two points, t represents the time it takes to travel that distance, θ represents the angle between the two points, and n and n' represent the refractive indices of the medium between the points.

4. Why is the equation multiplied by sin θ?

The multiplication by sin θ is necessary to account for the angle of incidence in Snell's Law and accurately calculate the distance between the two points.

5. How is this equation used in scientific research?

This equation is commonly used in optics and other fields of science to calculate the distance between two points, taking into account the refractive indices of the medium between them. It is also used in experiments and studies involving light refraction and reflection.