What is the difference b/w cos(lnx) and cosxlnx? integration by parts

In summary, using cos = U, -sinx=du, and dv=lnxdx in place of cos=u, -sinx=du, and dv=lnxdx gives the following equation: v = 1/x.
randoreds
Ok I have to integrate -->∫cos(lnx) dx. could I use cos =U, -sinx=du, dv=lnxdx, v = 1/x

I know the difference technically, but in this situation it is kinda weird.
because the formula f(x)g(x)= uv-∫vdu. I thinking if they were number like 9(3) it would equal 27 so f(g) = f times G? but then that would mean ∫cos(lnx)dx = ∫cosxlnxdx . Which I don't think is right.

last guess: could you do cos(lnx)= U, -sinx(lnx) times (1/2) dx = du, DV = lnxdx, v =1/x

So I'm confused.

I asked by teacher, because my first taught was to do U-substituion then integrate by parts. She said that would work, but it would end up being a lot of ugly calculations. and that you could just integrate by parts directly. So if you could explain that, that would nice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
randoreds said:
Ok I have to integrate -->∫cos(lnx) dx. could I use cos =U, -sinx=du, dv=lnxdx, v = 1/x

What do you mean by cos = u? Do you mean u = cos(ln(x))? Then du isn't sin(x). And cos(ln(x)) is not the product of cos and ln(x) so your integrand is not udv. A long winded way of saying what you have written is nonsense.

Try u = cos(ln(x)) and dv = 1 dx and see where that goes. You may have to do parts more than once.

I think you can use a trick:

[tex] I = \int \cos \ln x ~ dx = \displaystyle{\mathcal{Re}} \left(\int e^{i\ln x} ~dx\right) [/tex]

LCKurtz said:
What do you mean by cos = u? Do you mean u = cos(ln(x))? Then du isn't sin(x). And cos(ln(x)) is not the product of cos and ln(x) so your integrand is not udv. A long winded way of saying what you have written is nonsense.

Try u = cos(ln(x)) and dv = 1 dx and see where that goes. You may have to do parts more than once.

I mean't cos(x) then du = -sintheta. But that was totally wrong! you had the right substitution. I tried u = cos(ln(x)) and dv =dx. It worked out quite nicely. I only had to integrate it twice! Thanks

Related to What is the difference b/w cos(lnx) and cosxlnx? integration by parts

1. What is the difference between cos(lnx) and cosxlnx?

The main difference between cos(lnx) and cosxlnx is the placement of the natural logarithm function (lnx). In cos(lnx), the natural logarithm function is nested inside the cosine function, while in cosxlnx, the logarithm function is multiplied by the cosine function. This difference in placement can affect the overall shape and behavior of the function.

2. How do you integrate cos(lnx) and cosxlnx?

To integrate cos(lnx) and cosxlnx, you can use the integration by parts method. This involves splitting the function into two parts, one that you integrate and one that you differentiate. Then, you can use the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve for the integral. For cos(lnx), let u = lnx and dv = cosx dx. For cosxlnx, let u = cosx and dv = lnx dx.

3. Can you explain the steps for integration by parts?

The steps for integration by parts are as follows:

1. Identify the parts of the function that can be split into u and dv.
  2. Choose which part will be u and which part will be dv.
  3. Use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve for the integral.
  4. Differentiate the new u term and integrate the new dv term.
  5. Repeat the process until the integral is solved.

4. What are some common mistakes when using integration by parts?

One common mistake when using integration by parts is choosing the wrong u and dv terms. It is important to choose u and dv in a way that simplifies the integral and makes it easier to solve. Another mistake is not following the steps correctly, which can lead to errors in the final solution. It is also important to pay attention to the signs and keep track of the constants throughout the process.

5. How can I check if my integration by parts solution is correct?

You can check your integration by parts solution by differentiating the final answer. If the result is the original function, then your solution is correct. You can also use online integration calculators or ask a colleague or professor to double-check your work. Another way to check is by plugging in numerical values for the variables and comparing the answer to the original function's value at that point.