What is the Difference Between 1D Spectra and 2D Spectra?

In summary, 1D spectra represent the intensity of a signal as a function of one variable, typically frequency or wavelength, while 2D spectra display the intensity of a signal as a function of two variables, such as both frequency and time or frequency and phase. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the spectral data, providing information on both the frequency and cross-frequency interactions of a system. Additionally, 2D spectra are more sensitive to dynamic processes and can reveal hidden features that may not be apparent in 1D spectra.
randa177
Hi,
I am wondering what is the difference between 1D spectra and 2D spectra? I see many documents talking about one of these 2, but I couldn't find any clear definition...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
2-d spectra are what you have on the CCD after taking an exposure with the spectrograph. The object that you are taking a spectrum of, say a star, typically extends over several pixels wide on the ccd chip. To get a 1-d spectrum, you sum up all the counts in the pixels in the 2-d profile in each row or column depending on how the chip is oriented, and subtract off any unwanted backgrounds at the same time. The end result is a 1-dimensional vector of total counts vs pixel number. For a quick and dirty 1-d spectrum, you can just plot across one of the rows/columns in the spectrum (again depending on the orientation of the ccd).

The gory details can be found in the link below. . .

http://iraf.noao.edu/iraf/ftp/iraf/docs/spect.ps.Z

AstroRoyale said:
2-d spectra are what you have on the CCD after taking an exposure with the spectrograph. The object that you are taking a spectrum of, say a star, typically extends over several pixels wide on the ccd chip. To get a 1-d spectrum, you sum up all the counts in the pixels in the 2-d profile in each row or column depending on how the chip is oriented, and subtract off any unwanted backgrounds at the same time. The end result is a 1-dimensional vector of total counts vs pixel number. For a quick and dirty 1-d spectrum, you can just plot across one of the rows/columns in the spectrum (again depending on the orientation of the ccd).

The gory details can be found in the link below. . .

http://iraf.noao.edu/iraf/ftp/iraf/docs/spect.ps.Z

Thank you, that was helpful, however, unfortunately I wasn't able to open the document with the details, that you mentioned,,, :-(

AstroRoyale said:
Why were you not able to open the file, works for me at least. Try this one instead perhaps. . .

http://iraf.net/irafdocs/spect.pdf

Yea, Thanks, i was able to open that one, I think my computer doesn't read the .ps.Z files, do you know how can I fix that?

randa177 said:
I think my computer doesn't read the .ps.Z files, do you know how can I fix that?
To read .ps (postscript) you need a free program called ghostview and ghostscript, they are available for just about all platforms.
The .Z is a compressed file (rather like .Zip but more common on unix) I think newer versions of ghostview can read them automatically - otherwise something like 7zip will uncompress them.

There are other types of 2d spectra, an Echelle puts multiple orders of the same spectra in different parts of the image, so the same line can appear many times - they are a little more complex to process. There are also multi-object spectrographs that produce spectra of many different objects in the same field at the same time

mgb_phys said:
To read .ps (postscript) you need a free program called ghostview and ghostscript, they are available for just about all platforms.
The .Z is a compressed file (rather like .Zip but more common on unix) I think newer versions of ghostview can read them automatically - otherwise something like 7zip will uncompress them.

There are other types of 2d spectra, an Echelle puts multiple orders of the same spectra in different parts of the image, so the same line can appear many times - they are a little more complex to process. There are also multi-object spectrographs that produce spectra of many different objects in the same field at the same time

thanks a lot. my question this time may sound really stupid, but I am new to unix, and I don't know who to run ghostview on Unix, is there a command to do it?
Thanks

If you installed from a package then it should have been put on one of the application menus, or double clicking on the .ps file should start it.
Otherwise 'gv' from the command line.

mgb_phys said:
If you installed from a package then it should have been put on one of the application menus, or double clicking on the .ps file should start it.
Otherwise 'gv' from the command line.

is it just typing the 2 letters gv in the command line? I did that but it didn't work :(

Do you have ghostview installed?
You can either install it from here (http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/)
Or use the package manager in your Linux distribution.

You might also have evince installed - it's a combined pdf/ps viewer, again there should be a link on one of the menus or you can start it with "evince"

On unix you can also do "man -k postscript" to search for all the manual pages that mention postscript

Related to What is the Difference Between 1D Spectra and 2D Spectra?

1. What is the main difference between 1D and 2D spectra?

The main difference between 1D and 2D spectra is the number of dimensions. 1D spectra only show one-dimensional data, typically with intensity plotted on the y-axis and frequency or wavelength on the x-axis. 2D spectra show two-dimensional data, with intensity plotted on the z-axis in addition to the x- and y-axes.

2. How do 1D and 2D spectra differ in terms of information provided?

1D spectra provide information about the intensity and frequency/wavelength of a single signal. 2D spectra provide information about the intensity and frequency/wavelength of multiple signals, allowing for the analysis of complex mixtures or interactions between molecules.

3. Which type of spectrum is better for identifying compounds?

It depends on the specific situation and the type of analysis being performed. 1D spectra are better for identifying individual compounds, while 2D spectra are better for identifying interactions between multiple compounds.

4. Can 1D and 2D spectra be used together?

Yes, 1D and 2D spectra can be used together to provide a more complete picture of a sample. For example, 1D spectra can be used to identify individual compounds, and 2D spectra can be used to analyze their interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using 2D spectra?

One potential limitation of using 2D spectra is that they can be more complex and difficult to interpret compared to 1D spectra. Additionally, 2D spectra may require more advanced instrumentation and analysis techniques. However, the increased information provided by 2D spectra can be very useful in certain applications.

Back