What is the difference between 24 and 48 volt motors.

In summary: Norway, but what I learned at school 25 years ago is that AC at 50V is the limit, but DC is much higher. You will burn your fingers at high DC voltage, but isn't as dangerous as AC. AC can cause heart failure if the current through the body is high enough. But I would not advice to put your tounge on 50V DC...In summary, the higher voltage and lower current increase the over all efficiency.
alebbing
So I've been trying to make an electric bike. I've read that to overcome steeper hills you need higher amperage, but in looking for motors I found a 1000 watt 48 volt motor that is rated for 28 amps and a 600 watt 24 volt motor rated for 32 amps. Which motor creates more torque? If anyone could help me find a good motor for an electric bike that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
alebbing said:
Which motor creates more torque?
The torque doesn't really matter, since gearing can be used to compensate. Assuming both motors are optimally geared for a specific speed range, the higher powered motor will produce more rear wheel torque.

I set up a 4 to 1 gear ratio from the motor to the lower bracket then a 1.25 to 1 gear ratio to the back wheel. Is there anyway I can create more power out of the motor keeping the same gear system?

Power comes from the motor operating under particular conditions, e.g. rpm - so the optimum gearing for a particular speed is the one that allows you to operate the motor under optimal conditions. In a typical motorcycle, peak power is way up near redline, so ideally you arrange gearing so that you can always operate up near redline at any speed (the limit of this is a tiny, peaky 2-stroke engine running a gearbox with a dozen or more gears). I'm not sure how power vs. rpm varies with your electric motor, but looking at that curve would give you an idea how to gear it optimally for powering a bike.

alebbing said:
So I've been trying to make an electric bike. I've read that to overcome steeper hills you need higher amperage, but in looking for motors I found a 1000 watt 48 volt motor that is rated for 28 amps and a 600 watt 24 volt motor rated for 32 amps. Which motor creates more torque? If anyone could help me find a good motor for an electric bike that would be great.
Generally you can say that two motors which is rated 1000W, the one with highest voltage and lowest ampére rating usually have the highest efficiency. The batteries are less efficient if the motors require more ampéres.

I experience this with my RC plane motors, which is rated 2kW both. One require a higher voltage (22.2V) than the other (18.5V), and also have the greatest torque, and the battery last longer even if I compensate with higher battery capacity on the "low voltage" motor.

So the battery pack you use will be, in general, the main factor which determine torque and efficiency. In theory both motors will produce the same torque with ideal wiring and batteries.

br.

Vidar

Remember about safety issues.
24V is generally considered to be safe (although there were some electric shock accidents reported in extreme conditions), while 48V is very likely to cause possibly lethal electric shock if you, for exemple touch a mass of the bike with your leg and hot wire with hand while your skin is wet.
Under European regulations 24V installations are not restricted, but 48V installation must fulfill electric standards and then be certified, otherwise you may be accused for bringing danger to someone who uses it.

Last edited:
xts said:
Remember about safety issues.
24V is generally considered to be safe (although there were some electric shock accidents reported in extreme conditions), while 48V is very likely to cause possibly lethal electric shock if you, for exemple touch a mass of the bike with your leg and hot wire with hand while your skin is wet.
Under European regulations 24V installations are not restricted, but 48V installation must fulfill electric standards and then be certified, otherwise you may be accused for bringing danger to someone who uses it.
Those regulations might be the case in some countries, but that doesn't change the fact that a higher voltage and lower current increase the over all efficiency.
I do not remember how this is in Norway, but what I learned at school 25 years ago is that AC at 50V is the limit, but DC is much higher. You will burn your fingers at high DC voltage, but isn't as dangerous as AC. AC can cause heart failure if the current through the body is high enough. But I would not advice to put your tounge on 50V DC...

Last edited:
In Poland 30V DC is a limit for unrestricted installations (which is set such just to cover "24V" lead battery chargers), for higher voltages installations must be build in conformance with standards and certified by qualified electrician inspector.
In Austria and Italy the limits are similar: 48V DC power distribution installation for telecom equipment must be certified for electric safety.
So I think it is a kind of EU standard regulation - but maybe the limits vary?

I believe 48VDC may be deadly in some conditions. Actually there were several deaths reported even for 24V DC - all of them were miners, who performed hard physical work in hot deep mines where 24VDC is used to power auxiliary systems (lights, detectors, control systems, etc.), so their hearts were exhausted, and skin well conducting with sweat.

Low-Q said:
Those regulations might be the case in some countries, but that doesn't change the fact that a higher voltage and lower current increase the over all efficiency.

So you have a choice - use 200V or higher, giving you even better efficiency - or you go by the accepted safety standards and have one less thing to worry about whilst you are riding your bike. What actual numerical difference in efficienty is involved?

On the subject of RC planes. 2kw at 20V is 100A. How long does a small battery (airborne?) last with that sort of drain? A pretty short flight I imagine.

FAQ: What is the difference between 24 and 48 volt motors.

1. What is the main difference between 24 and 48 volt motors?

The main difference between 24 and 48 volt motors is the amount of voltage they require to operate. A 24 volt motor requires 24 volts of electricity, while a 48 volt motor requires 48 volts of electricity.

2. Can a 48 volt motor be used in place of a 24 volt motor?

No, a 48 volt motor cannot be used in place of a 24 volt motor. The motor's voltage requirements must match the voltage supplied by the power source in order for it to function properly.

3. Which motor is more powerful, a 24 volt or 48 volt?

A 48 volt motor is typically more powerful than a 24 volt motor. This is because higher voltage allows for more current to flow, resulting in a higher power output. However, the specific power of a motor also depends on other factors such as the motor's design and efficiency.

4. Can I use a 24 volt battery with a 48 volt motor?

No, it is not recommended to use a 24 volt battery with a 48 volt motor. The voltage of the battery must match the voltage requirements of the motor for it to function properly. Using a lower voltage battery may result in the motor not running at full capacity or not functioning at all.

5. Are there any other differences between 24 and 48 volt motors besides the voltage?

Yes, there may be other differences between 24 and 48 volt motors depending on the specific models and designs. Generally, a 48 volt motor may have higher torque and power output compared to a 24 volt motor. Additionally, the wiring and connections for a 48 volt motor may be different than those for a 24 volt motor. It is important to check the specifications of each motor before use.

Back