What is the difference between first and second moments in mechanics?

• Thread starter chetzread
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between first and second moments of mass and whether they can be called first and second moments of inertia instead. There is disagreement over the definitions in the book, with one person believing that "moment of mass" defaults to meaning first moment, while the other believes that "moment of inertia" always refers to the second moment. It is also mentioned that moment of mass is useful in center of gravity calculations, while moment of inertia is related to resistance to acceleration. Ultimately, it is concluded that the default meaning of "moment of inertia" is the second moment, though there are some sources that use it to refer to the first moment.
chetzread

Homework Statement

in my book , it stated that first moment is moment of mass , second moment as moment of inertia , is it correct ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

IMO , first moment can also be called as first moment of inertia , with formula of Ix or Iy , whereas for second moment of inertia , it has formula of Ixx or Iyy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an example here , the question is find the moment inertia .
I am not sure whether it is either first or second moment on inertia , how to determine it ? Btw , the author considered it as second moment of inertia ? why not first moment of inertia ?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 562
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 649
I feel the book's definitions are wrong. The terms mass and inertia are, or should be, interchangeable.
You can find references online to first and second moments of mass.
That said, unqualified "Moment of Inertia" refers always to the second moment.

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
I feel the book's definitions are wrong. The terms mass and inertia are, or should be, interchangeable.
You can find references online to first and second moments of mass.
That said, unqualified "Moment of Inertia" refers always to the second moment.
so, the example in book i wrong? by saying moment of inertia, we have no enough evidence to show that whether it's first or second moment ?

chetzread said:
so, the example in book i wrong? by saying moment of inertia, we have no enough evidence to show that whether it's first or second moment ?
No I wrote that "Moment of Inertia" should be taken to mean the second moment unless some other order of moment is specified.

chetzread said:
in my book, it stated that first moment is moment of mass, second moment as moment of inertia, is it correct ?

Yes, it's correct but poorly explained.

First moment means the distance from the reference axis to each element of area or mass is raised to the first power.
Second moment means the distance to each element of area or mass is raised to the second power.

So you see no matter what kind of moment you have (first or second), it may either be a moment of area, or a moment of mass:

Σ r * dA = first moment of area
Σ r * dm = first moment of mass
Σ r2 * dA = second moment of area
Σ r2 * dm = second moment of mass = moment of inertia

The problem asks you to find the polar mass moment of inertia for the given body.
You can think of moment of inertia as the resistance to angular acceleration.

David Lewis said:
Yes, it's correct
As I read it, the book is saying that "moment of mass" means first moment, while "moment of inertia" means second moment. I am sure that is wrong, and it does not accord with the rest of your own post.
Of course, it could be that the book is being misquoted. @chetzread, please post the exact wording.

David Lewis said:
Yes, it's correct but poorly explained.

First moment means the distance from the reference axis to each element of area or mass is raised to the first power.
Second moment means the distance to each element of area or mass is raised to the second power.

So you see no matter what kind of moment you have (first or second), it may either be a moment of area, or a moment of mass:

Σ r * dA = first moment of area
Σ r * dm = first moment of mass
Σ r2 * dA = second moment of area
Σ r2 * dm = second moment of mass = moment of inertia

The problem asks you to find the polar mass moment of inertia for the given body.
You can think of moment of inertia as the resistance to angular acceleration.
why it can't be first moment for the case in the attachment i have uploaded earlier ?

chetzread said:
why it can't be first moment for the case in the attachment i have uploaded earlier ?
As I posted, if the order of the moment is not specified (zeroth, first, second, ...) then moment of inertia should be taken to mean the second moment.
Where I disagree with the textbook extract you posted is that I do not believe that "moment of mass" defaults to meaning first moment.

haruspex said:
As I posted, if the order of the moment is not specified (zeroth, first, second, ...) then moment of inertia should be taken to mean the second moment.
Where I disagree with the textbook extract you posted is that I do not believe that "moment of mass" defaults to meaning first moment.
do you agree that second moment = moment of inertia by default ?

chetzread said:
do you agree that second moment = moment of inertia by default ?
Yes, the default meaning of "moment of inertia" is the second moment.

Likes chetzread
Moment of mass is understood to mean first moment of mass because (in this context) mass refers to the physical quantity that reacts to the pull of gravity, not resistance to acceleration.

First moment of mass is useful in center of gravity calculations, and can be thought of as the torque that gravity imposes on a static body.

Moment of inertia is taken to mean the second moment of mass (or, in bending analysis, the second moment of area) because here the term mass refers to the quantity that resists acceleration.

David Lewis said:
Moment of mass is understood to mean first moment of mass
I have not been able to find any reference for that. Can you post a link?

Edit: ok, I finally managed to find a couple of obscure references for this usage.
http://www2.palomar.edu/users/cchamberlin/Math 205 PDF/lecture 16_5.pdf
http://mathwiki.ucdavis.edu/Core/Ca...ultiple_Integrals/Moments_and_Centers_of_Mass
But most discussions of moments do not mention it. Personally, I find the stated reason for discriminating between mass and inertia unconvincing. Centre of mass is not the same, in general, as centre of gravity.

Last edited:

Related to What is the difference between first and second moments in mechanics?

1. What is the first moment in statistics?

The first moment, also known as the mean, is a measure of central tendency that represents the average value of a set of data. It is calculated by adding all the values in the data set and dividing by the total number of values.

2. How is the first moment different from the second moment?

The second moment, also known as the variance, measures the spread or variability of a data set around the mean. It is calculated by taking the sum of squared deviations from the mean and dividing by the total number of values.

3. Which moment is more important in statistical analysis?

Both the first and second moment are important in statistical analysis. The first moment gives us a general understanding of the data by providing a central value, while the second moment provides information about the spread of the data and helps us to make comparisons between different sets of data.

4. How are the first and second moment used together?

The first and second moment are often used together to gain a more complete understanding of a data set. The mean, or first moment, can be used to summarize the data, while the variance, or second moment, can be used to measure the variability and identify any outliers or unusual patterns in the data.

5. Can the first and second moment be affected by extreme values in a data set?

Yes, both the first and second moment can be affected by extreme values in a data set. The mean, or first moment, is particularly sensitive to extreme values, while the variance, or second moment, is less affected by them. Therefore, it is important to consider both moments when analyzing data and to be aware of any potential outliers that may skew the results.