What is the difference between Hydrogen and Protium?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between hydrogen and protium, the most common isotope of hydrogen. While hydrogen can refer to any isotope, protium specifically refers to hydrogen-1, which has one proton and no neutrons. There was some confusion about what an isotope is, but it is clarified that hydrogen is the element and protium is one of its variations.
HowardS
I hope this is posted in the correct forum;

From what I remember in school, Hydrogen (atomic weight 1) consists of 1 proton and 1 electron with 0 neutrons. Protium is an isotope of Hydrogen, which I assume makes it slightly different than H as is listed on a periodic chart, yet from what I am reading, still has an electron, yet no neutrons. How is that different than regular hydrogen? Is it that regular hydrogen really doesn't exist on it's own and is always paired? If so, that's kind of a misleading isotope.

Thanks,
Howard

Physics news on Phys.org
In physics and chemistry, protium refers to hydrogen-1, the most common isotope of the element hydrogen, with one proton and no neutrons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protium

Above is reference.

Hydrogen can refer to any isotope of the element, while protium is a specific isotope, similar to dueterium and tritium.

Thanks for the responses guys. I had some help from a friend at work and my mistake was incorrectly understanding what an isotope actually was - I thought it meant that it was different from the parent. In this case I thought there was substance A (hydrogen) and if you changed it, you would get substance B,C or D (protium, deuterium or trituim. I now see that hydrogen is the substance, but has 3 flavors with protium being the most common flavor of the hydrogen class.

Thanks for the replies though guys.

Related to What is the difference between Hydrogen and Protium?

1. What is the atomic number of hydrogen and protium?

The atomic number of hydrogen is 1, while the atomic number of protium is also 1. This means that both elements have one proton in their nucleus.

2. Are hydrogen and protium the same element?

Yes, hydrogen and protium are both forms of the same element. Protium is the most common and stable form of hydrogen, making up over 99% of all hydrogen atoms.

3. What is the main difference between hydrogen and protium?

The main difference between hydrogen and protium is the number of neutrons in their nucleus. Hydrogen has one proton and no neutrons, while protium has one proton and one neutron. This difference in the number of neutrons can affect the stability and reactivity of the element.

4. Can hydrogen and protium be separated?

Yes, hydrogen and protium can be separated through a process called isotopic separation. This involves separating the different isotopes of hydrogen based on their mass differences.

5. What are the common uses of hydrogen and protium?

Both hydrogen and protium have a variety of uses in different industries. For example, hydrogen can be used as a fuel source for vehicles, while protium is used in nuclear reactors and scientific research. Both elements are also used in the production of various chemicals and materials.