What Is the Difference Between Latent Heat of Fusion and Specific Melting Heat?

In summary, the terms "latent heat of fusion of ice" and "specific melting heat of ice" refer to the same concept, which is the required heat energy to melt ice. While the term "fusion" may imply a transition from solid to liquid, it is essentially the same as melting in this context. Therefore, there is no difference between the two terms and they can be used interchangeably.
bon

Homework Statement

I\'m just trying to understand a definition:

So for the clausius clapeyron equation, it really matters which way we define L (i.e. whether it is positive or negative), so trying to understand, is \"the latent heat of fusion of ice\" the same as \"the specific melting heat of ice\"..? To me, the latter suggests the transition FROM ice TO water, whereas the former seems to imply the opposite...whereas everything i\'ve read suggests they are the same.. are they?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bon said:

Homework Statement

I\'m just trying to understand a definition:

So for the clausius clapeyron equation, it really matters which way we define L (i.e. whether it is positive or negative), so trying to understand, is \"the latent heat of fusion of ice\" the same as \"the specific melting heat of ice\"..? To me, the latter suggests the transition FROM ice TO water, whereas the former seems to imply the opposite...whereas everything i\'ve read suggests they are the same.. are they?

"Fusion" in this sense means going from a solid state to a liquid state. It is the same as melting. In other senses (like nuclear fusion) it means to join pieces together into a whole...I can see the source of your confusion.

Is that what you are wanting to know?

That was a rather good pun Fewmet.

In the simplest terms possible, yes, latent heat of fusion of ice is basically equal to the specific melting heat of ice. They're both the required heat energy to melt ice.

Lobezno said:
That was a rather good pun Fewmet.
Thank you, and welcome to Physcis Forums.

Lobezno said:
In the simplest terms possible, yes, latent heat of fusion of ice is basically equal to the specific melting heat of ice. They're both the required heat energy to melt ice.

This suggests the to are not the same on a subtler level. Can you say something more about that?

No, sorry, I don't know why I tried to quantify the answer. They are one and the same.

Related to What Is the Difference Between Latent Heat of Fusion and Specific Melting Heat?

1. What is a quick definition?

A quick definition is a concise and simple explanation of a word or concept that is easy to understand and remember. It is often used when a person wants a brief understanding of something without going into too much detail.

2. How do I find quick definitions?

There are several ways to find quick definitions. You can use a dictionary, which provides a short and clear explanation of a word. You can also use online search engines, such as Google, which often have quick definition features when you search for a specific word or term.

3. Can quick definitions be reliable?

Quick definitions can be reliable, but it depends on the source. It is important to check the credibility and accuracy of the source providing the quick definition. It is also helpful to compare the definition with other sources to ensure accuracy.

4. How can I use quick definitions in my research?

Quick definitions can be used in research to provide a basic understanding of a word or concept. However, they should not be relied upon as the sole source of information. It is important to use more in-depth and reliable sources for research purposes.

5. Are quick definitions the same as synonyms?

No, quick definitions and synonyms are not the same. Quick definitions provide a brief explanation of a word or concept, while synonyms are words that have similar meanings. Quick definitions can sometimes include synonyms, but they are not interchangeable.