What is the difference between reciprocal and inverse in mathematics?

In summary, the difference between reciprocal and inverse is that reciprocal is 1/x, but when x is a fraction, it flips. Inverse, on the other hand, refers to inverting some sort of operation and is often used to "undo" an operation. An example of inverse is the logarithmic function, which is the inverse of the exponential function.
singleton
Er well I've been away from math for a LONG time until I recently began reading into calculus and I have a question.

I always see reciprocal and inverse throughout the text. What is the difference between the two?

I always thought reciprocal was the number (in a fraction form) flipped so the result of any multiplication is always 1.

eg 3/7 is the reciprocal of 7/3

But what about inverse? I'm having a troubling time finding the definitive answer for that. I've been thinking its 1 divided by the number. So the inverse of 47 is 1/47 ?

Tell me how embarassingly wrong I am please :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Reciprocal means 1/x, but when x is a fraction it does flip. Not really sure how to explain inversing, other than it's kinda "undoing" an operation, eg. if you do x*y and then x*y/y, you get x again cos multiplication and division are inverses. That's probably not very clear :(.

You are embarassingly wrong! :smile: Okay, now for the serious answer.

The term "inverse" always refers to inverting some sort of operation. The reciprocal is an example of something called a "multiplicative inverse": the inverse of the operation of multiplying by a/b is multiplying by b/a.

One often does not say precisely what is being inverted because it can usually be inferred from the context.

Thanks!

I think I have a better idea now what the textbook is talking about when it takes an exponential function and inverts it to get the logarithmic function (I think that is what it is doing at least! rofl)

y = 2^x,

Inverse is x = 2^y. To write it logarithmicly would be y = log2X I think

(sorry I suck at using that tex stuff so the 2 should be a subscript like :)

Last edited:

FAQ: What is the difference between reciprocal and inverse in mathematics?

1. What is the difference between inverse and reciprocal?

The inverse of a number is the number that, when multiplied by the original number, results in 1. The reciprocal of a number is the number that, when multiplied by the original number, results in the multiplicative identity, which is also 1. In other words, the inverse and reciprocal are essentially the same concept, with the only difference being the result of the multiplication.

2. How do you find the inverse of a number?

To find the inverse of a number, you can use the formula: inverse = 1/number. For example, the inverse of 4 would be 1/4, which is 0.25.

3. Can every number have an inverse or reciprocal?

Yes, every number except for 0 has an inverse or reciprocal. This is because when 0 is multiplied by any number, the result is always 0, so there is no number that can be multiplied by 0 to result in 1 or the multiplicative identity.

4. How is inverse and reciprocal used in mathematics?

Inverse and reciprocal are important concepts in mathematics that are used in various operations, such as solving equations, simplifying fractions, and finding the slope of a line. They are also commonly used in trigonometry and calculus.

5. Are inverse and reciprocal the same as the opposite of a number?

No, the inverse and reciprocal of a number are not the same as the opposite of a number. The opposite of a number is simply its additive inverse, meaning a number that, when added to the original number, results in 0. In contrast, the inverse and reciprocal are multiplicative inverses, meaning a number that, when multiplied by the original number, results in 1.

Back