What is the difference between whitening and PCA?

In summary, whitening transformation is a method that transforms a set of random variables to uncorrelated variables with equal variance. It can be achieved through eigenvalue decomposition (EVD) or principal component analysis (PCA). However, whitening is not equivalent to PCA as it involves additional steps such as filtering out noise.
Wenlong
Hi, all

I am looking into whitening transformation. According to the definition and explanation of Wikipedia, whitening transformation is a decorrelating process and it can be done by eigenvalue decomposition (EVD).

As far as I know, EVD is one of the solutions of principal component analysis (PCA). And the results of both whitening and PCA are uncorrelated(vectors, if the input are matrices). Thus I am being confused by these two methods.

May I say that whitening is equivalent to PCA? If not, may I know why?

Thank you very much for your kindly help.

Best regards
Wenlong

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Matrix (M,N)*(M,1)=(M,M) = whitening is the passage (M,N)-> (M,M)

The whitening transformation is a decorrelation method which transforms a set of random variables having the covariance matrix Σ into a set of new random variables whose covariance is aI, where a is a constant and I is the identity matrix. The new random variables are uncorrelated and all have variance 1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitening_transformation

Standard PCA is often used for whitening because information can be optimally
compressed in the mean-square error sense and some possible noise is filtered out. The
PCA whitening matrix can be expressed in the form:

V=D^(-1/2)*E^T
where EDET = E{xxT }is the eigenvector decomposition of the covariance matrix of the
(zero mean) data x, implying that D = diag [d1 ,d2 ,...,dM] is a M*M diagonal matrix
containing the eigenvalues, and E = [c1 ,c2 ,...,cM] is an orthogonal N * M matrix
having the eigenvectors as columns.
http://rrp.infim.ro/2004_56_1/Mutihac.pdf

Related to What is the difference between whitening and PCA?

1. What is the main difference between whitening and PCA?

Whitening is the process of lightening the color of an object or substance, while PCA (Principal Component Analysis) is a statistical technique used to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset.

2. Can whitening and PCA be used interchangeably?

No, whitening and PCA serve different purposes and are not interchangeable. Whitening is used for color correction, while PCA is used for data analysis and feature extraction.

3. How does whitening work?

Whitening works by reducing the color contrast between different parts of an object or substance. This can be achieved by using a chemical agent or by physical processes such as bleaching.

4. What are the benefits of using PCA?

PCA is beneficial in data analysis as it helps to reduce the number of variables in a dataset, making it more manageable and easier to interpret. It also helps to identify the most important features or components of the data.

5. Are there any potential risks or side effects of whitening or PCA?

Whitening can have potential risks, such as skin irritation or damage, if not done correctly. PCA does not have any known risks or side effects as it is a purely statistical technique.