What is the Dimension and Cardinality of the Vector Space V?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, the dimension of a vector space refers to the number of linearly independent vectors that can span the entire space, determined by the number of basis vectors. The cardinality of a vector space refers to the total number of vectors, including basis vectors and those represented through linear combinations. The dimension and cardinality can be different and affect the size, complexity, and types of operations possible in a vector space.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem
: Let $\mathbb{F}_2$ denote the field with two elements (called $0$ and $1$). Let $V=\mathbb{F}_2\mathbb{N}$ denote the vector space whose elements are sequences $(a_i)_{i\in\mathbb{N}}$, such that $a_i=0$ for all but finitely many $i\in\mathbb{N}$. What is $\dim(V)$? What is $\#V$? What is $\#V^{\prime}$? What is $\dim(V^{\prime})$?

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can find my solution below.

[sp]Consider the set$$\mathcal{B}=\{(a_i)_{i\in\mathbb{N}}: 1\text{ is in the $i$th position and $0$ otherwise}\}.$$
This forms a basis for the free vector space $V=\mathbb{F}_2\mathbb{N}$. Therefore,
$$\dim(V)=\#\mathcal{B}=\#\mathbb{N}=\aleph_0.$$
Since $\#\mathcal{B}$ is infinite, then it follows that $\#V=\max(\#\mathbb{F}_2,\#\mathcal{B})=\aleph_0$.
Since $\dim(V)$ is infinite, then it follows that $\dim(V^{\prime})=\left|\mathbb{F}_2\right|^{\dim(V)}=2^{\aleph_0}=\mathfrak{c}.$ It also follows that $\#V^{\prime}=\max(\#\mathbb{F}_2,\dim(V^{\prime}))=\mathfrak{c}.\quad\clubsuit$[/sp]

FAQ: What is the Dimension and Cardinality of the Vector Space V?

1. What is meant by "dimension" in a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space refers to the number of linearly independent vectors that can span the entire space. In other words, it is the minimum number of vectors required to represent any other vector in the space through linear combinations.

2. How is the dimension of a vector space determined?

The dimension of a vector space can be determined by finding the number of basis vectors in that space. These are a set of linearly independent vectors that can span the entire space. The number of basis vectors is equal to the dimension of the vector space.

3. What does "cardinality" mean in the context of a vector space?

The cardinality of a vector space refers to the total number of vectors in that space. This includes both the basis vectors and any other vectors that can be represented through linear combinations of the basis vectors.

4. Can the dimension and cardinality of a vector space be different?

Yes, the dimension and cardinality of a vector space can be different. The dimension refers to the number of basis vectors, while the cardinality refers to the total number of vectors in the space. In some cases, the dimension and cardinality may be equal, but this is not always the case.

5. How does the dimension and cardinality of a vector space relate to its properties?

The dimension and cardinality of a vector space are important properties that determine its size and complexity. A higher dimension and cardinality typically indicate a larger and more complex vector space with a greater number of possible vectors and operations. Additionally, the dimension and cardinality can affect the types of operations and transformations that can be performed on vectors in that space.